Financial Aid Counselor reports to the Director of Financial Aid is an administrative staff position entailing responsibilities involving all aspects of financial aid. A balanced combination of organizational and customer service skills is required, as well as excellent attention to detail and the ability to work with frequent interruption.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide counsel and advise students and families regarding the processes for federal, state and private aid sources for higher education;
- Review student files for completeness and to determine eligibility for financial aid;
- Perform verification process on all selected applicants;
- Assist the Director in packaging, awarding and report reconciliation and preparation;
- Perform data entry tasks using Datatel/Ellusian software system;
- Prepare finalized award packages for distribution;
- Create forms and prepare correspondence;
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations and policies within assigned areas through review of program handbooks and participation in workshops and training sessions;
- Represent the College and Financial Aid Office at various college and financial aid events – including some evening and weekend hours;
- Perform additional duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- At least 2 year of experience in a higher education setting working with student financial aid and dealing with regulatory compliance issues;
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, including a strong sensitivity to diverse student populations;
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem solving skills;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Datatel/Ellusian software system
- Experience with various federal processing systems (COD, EDconnect, NSLDS).
Submit letter of interest and resume to:
College for Creative Studies
Office of Human Resources
210 E. Kirby
Detroit MI 48202-4034