Build your skills and prepare for your college career. This yearlong program can only benefit you as you look toward the future. You’ll have the opportunity to enhance your portfolio by taking art and design courses with CCS faculty in our unique facilities, earning anywhere from 3.0 – 6.0 college credits — all while still in high school. You’ll be able to try out new disciplines and perfect your existing skills, while adding depth and dimension to your portfolio.
Perfect for high school juniors and seniors.
ART SCHOLAR BENEFITS:
- Potential to earn 3.0 – 6.0 college credits
- Take courses at a discounted tuition rate vs. taking courses individually
- Portfolio meets CCS’s application requirements (upon program completion)
- Receive support from CCS admissions counselors
- Earn a Certificate of Completion
- Qualify for early acceptance to CCS
- Increased opportunities for Scholarships
- Priority enrollment and $500 discount for three-week resident Summer Experience program
- Receive a CCS StART Scholarship (up to $2,832) toward CCS college-level classes you take while in high school (some restrictions apply)
- Receive $300 off Precollege tuition rates for program-related courses
ART SCHOLARS PROGRAM, HOW IT WORKS
This program combines workshops, short courses, portfolio preparation, dual enrollment courses and the Precollege Summer Experience all into one, to prepare you for applying to and attending a college of art and design.
Choose your Courses. View Courses
Start and attend the program in any term. CCS Precollege classes are on Saturdays, Sundays or weekdays in the late afternoon/ evening.
Pay discounted tuition at time of registration for Art Scholar savings.
Complete all program requirements within one year.
CCS faculty and professional artists teach one-day workshops around specific projects. This is a great time to try something new and get to know our faculty a little better.
Sample Workshops to choose from:
- Illustration and Animation: Beyond Manga I
- llustration with a Wacom Tablet
- Photography with an Edge
- Printmaking: Posters and Signs
Take a few weeks to delve into a process-oriented project. These once-a-week classes vary in length but introduce techniques, processes and materials that you may not have access to elsewhere. Add some diversity to your portfolio or get some studio time to do something you already love.
Sample Studio Courses to choose from:
- Adobe® Photoshop®: Video Tools
- Animation Basics
- Auto Design
- Casting in the Foundry
- Digital Illustration
- Drawing the Human Figure
- Fashion: Design and Illustration Techniques
- Graphic Novel
- Jewelry and Metalsmithing
- Portfolio Preparation
- Portrait Photography
- Welded Metal Sculpture
The core of a strong art college application is a solid portfolio. Build or enhance your portfolio based on the professional critiques and targeted drawing assignments offered in this course. You will
learn how to best present your talents.
- Sample Portfolio Preparation projects include:
- Drawing from the live, nude model
- Drawing from observation
- Digital Portfolio building
- One-on-one feedback and portfolio planning
- Guided college application
- and portfolio requirement research
- Feedback and guidance from CCS Admissions counselors
Dual enrollment courses are freshman college-level classes that are open to high school students.
Sample Dual Enrollment Courses to choose from:
- Foundation Drawing I
- Digital Fundamentals
- 2D Design
- 3D Design Concepts
- 3D Design Techniques
CCS Art Scholars automatically receive up to $2,832 in CCS StART Scholarship to help cover the cost of their 3.0 credit course. High school students can also inquire through their high school counselor about their eligibility for tuition assistance through their school district. For more information about Dual Enrollment courses, see the Precollege Courses book or check our website.
Round out your portfolio by living on campus and focusing on a concentration for three-weeks. This program will add depth and dimension to your portfolio and give you a true taste of college life.
Sample Precollege Summer Experience Concentrations to choose from:
- Auto Design
- Character Modeling for Animation and Gaming
- Drawing and Painting
- Graphic and Advertising Design
- Photography and studio Lighting
- Product Design
For more information about Precollege Summer Experience concentrations, see the Summer Experience section or check our website.