from Word doc supplied 06.29 //dj -- 6/29/2012 [10:59 AM]
Requirements For All Applicants
Complete our free online application. Complete this step now and finish the rest of the process when you're ready. This step must be done first. Start Now
Submit official college transcript(s). (We require a minimum 3.0 undergraduate cumulative grade point average.) Photocopies are not accepted unless they are officially attested as exact copies of the original. Records should be submitted for all post-secondary schools attended and should provide a list of courses taken, yearly examination results and conferral of degrees. If you are currently in your final year of study, you may submit in process transcripts for your application, and send final transcripts after you complete your degree.
Please send all mail to the following address:
Admissions Office - Graduate
College for Creative Studies
201 E. Kirby
Detroit, MI 48202-4034
Upload a portfolio to slideroom that communicates your problem-solving skills and your technical and design expertise to SlideRoom. NOTE: It is required that applicants for the Transportation Design program include a significant number of original sketches in their portfolio submission and/or an additional sketchbook.
Upload Your Portfolio
*For MFA Integrated Design applicants with no design background, please follow the guidelines.
Submit a statement of purpose (500 - 1,000 words) using your new SlideRoom account. The statement should outline your objectives for seeking an MFA at CCS. This document serves as your writing sample and should include your areas of interest and influences on your design/thinking practice. Submit Now
NOTE: Integrated Design applicants with no design background -
In the written statement candidates should address the following:
- What is your motivation for studying design?
- What are you hoping to achieve in your graduate education? Career path and/or personal enrichment?
- Why do you think CCS is the place for you?
- What characteristics, both personal and professional, do you feel you will contribute to a team-based project?
Provide three letters of recommendation from people who know your academic and professional record and can speak to your potential for success at CCS. You will send email requests for these letters. This is completed through your SlideRoom account. Start Now
Select candidates may be contacted for a Skype or telephone interview. To prepare yourself for an interview, become familiar with the CCS design philosophy through the website. For a list of sample interview questions contact the Graduate Admissions Office.
In addition to the items listed above, complete the following:
- Submit your official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score by mail directly from the testing agency or in an official, unopened envelope from the testing agency. The minimum required scores are: Internet version: 80. For more information visit www.toefl.org. CCS's school code is 1035. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be considered in place of the TOEFL test. The minimum required IELTS score is 6.5. Successful completion of ELS 112 also may be used in place of the TOEFL test. Please visit www.els.edu for more information. If your degree was taught in English, an English proficiency test is not required. Photocopied test results are not accepted.
- Provide English translations of your transcripts along with the school’s grading scale so we can convert your grades.
- Send official certification from a financial institution documenting funds to cover one year’s tuition and expenses. Please notify Graduate Admissions if you plan to bring a spouse and/or dependent children. The actual amount available for your studies must be stated in U.S. dollars. For current tuition amounts please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Submit an affidavit of support if a sponsor will help pay for your education. The Office of Graduate Admissions can supply this form.