• Prospective students must demonstrate commitment, maturity and a readiness to work and grow in an educationally creative environment.
  • Online application.
  • A minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score for the internet of 71 IBT. Code 1035. Photocopied test results are not accepted. The IELTS exam will be considered in place of the TOEFL on an individual basis. Successful completion of ELS 112 may be used in place of the TOEFL test. Please visit for more information.
  • Official high school transcript with a minimum 2.5 grade point average.
  • For Transfer Students - official college transcript(s). Applicants must have a minimum 2.0 college grade point average or meet the high school GPA requirements stated above. Please submit descriptions of your studies in each university studio class so we can determine their eligibility for transfer.
  • Each transcript must be translated into English and must include the school's grading scale so we may convert your academic class grades. Please submit descriptions of your studies in each university studio class so we can determine their eligibility for transfer.
  • Minimum 5-8 piece portfolio (does not apply to Copywriting majors). (See portfolio Requirements)
  • Letters of recommendation are optional.
  • Official certification from a financial institution documenting funds to cover one year's tuition and expenses Please contact the International Student Services Office at 313-664-7449 or for current year expenses. The actual amount available for studies must be stated in U.S. dollars.
  • I-20 forms are issued after all requirements are met. An I-20 form enables a foreign student to apply for an F-1 student Visa from an American Embassy.
  • All payments must be made by credit card, check (drawn on U.S. bank) or international money order.


Preparing for the Visa Interview

  • Make sure all information on the I-20 form is correct.
  • Demonstrate that you have plans to return to your home country. The purpose of the visa interview is often to "prove" you will return to your home country after finishing your academic program. Demonstrating ties such as family, property, or employment will help you make this point.
  • Bring all important school correspondence to the interview, such as your admission letter or email messages.
  • Demonstrate adequate financial support. Bring financial documents, proof of income, or business cards (if you have been working).
  • Do not use memorized text during the visa interview. Practice the interview with friends. Be prepared to answer such questions as "Where did you hear about this school?" "What do you plan to do after graduation?"
  • Know the job prospects in your field in your home country.
  • Maintain a positive attitude. Do not engage the consular officer in an argument. If you are denied a student Visa, ask the officer for a list of documents he or she would suggest you bring in order to overcome the refusal. Ask for the reason you were denied in writing.
  • Tell the truth. If you have family members in the United States, you should admit it. If the consular officials believe that you are lying or have lied in an interview (with regard to family or financial status), they will probably not issue the Visa.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  1. Is housing available on campus?
  2. Is financial aid available?
  3. Can international students work?
  4. How do I get an I-20 Form?

Is housing available on campus?

Whether traveling from another country or around the block, housing is available to all students. The CCS campus is made up of two unique sites, the Walter and Josephine Ford Campus and the A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education, located in the heart of Detroit's Cultural Center and New Center areas.

Learn More Now

Is financial aid available?

At CCS we understand the importance of financial aid and strive to make the process as easy as possible. While international students are not awarded U.S. Government aid, they are eligible to receive the merit-based scholarships that all students are considered for upon admission. To determine the amount of merit-based scholarship a student is eligible for, they must submit an application and portfolio and wait for an admission and scholarship decision. Visit for additional financial aid and scholarship information.

Can international students work?

Many offices and departments on campus hire students. If a position is available, international students can work on-campus, part-time during the academic year and part-time during the annual summer vacation. Students should check with the Office of Financial Aid for on-campus position availability. International students are not permitted to work off-campus until they have been at CCS for a minimum of one academic year, and must see the international student advisor before beginning any kind of off-campus work.

How do I get an I-20 Form?

Upon admission, an enrollment deposit is required. In addition, the student must complete a financial statement verifying they have enough funds to finance their education at CCS. Once the student has been admitted and we receive both the enrollment deposit and the financial statement, an I-20 form will be issued.


All international students attend the International Welcome Week activities upon arrival at CCS. This program familiarizes students with the CCS campus and Detroit community. It helps ease the transition into a new culture and city.

Please bring the following documents to orientation:

  • Passport
  • Digital I-94 record
  • All I-20s (F-1 visa students)
  • Transfer Form (for students transferring to CCS from another United States school)

Designed and created by DDM Marketing & Communications.