The Student Ombudsman position was created to provide students a consistent, centralized point of contact for questions, concerns and/or problems they may be experiencing on campus. The position is not intended to eliminate standard office and academic procedures elsewhere on campus, more to provide a supplemental resource for students. The Student Ombudsman's primary rule is to ensure that policies are enforced fairly and that students are fully informed of what is being done and why.
The Student Ombudsman will:
- Assist students in accomplishing the expeditious resolution of their problems and concerns.
- Provide confidential and informal assistance to students.
- Advocate for fairness.
- Act as a source of information and referral.
Many of the student concerns that are anticipated being heard by the Student Ombudsman are listed below. Examples of student concerns brought to the attention of the Student Ombudsman include:
- Environmental safety issues within classrooms/labs
- Campus safety
- A problem with a particular faculty or staff member
- Office hours not accommodating to student needs
- Vandalism of work
- Suspicion of theft
- Questions or concerns about College policies
- Personal issues or concerns (may or may not directly relate to the College)
- Academic issues or concerns