The A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education is an educational complex devoted to creativity. It houses a learning community, focused on art and design, extending from middle school through graduate school and beyond into the professional realm. This community will be complemented by other for-profit and not-for-profit organizations that drive innovation and economic development.
The Taubman Center is the cornerstone for commerce and culture in the New Center area. The College doubled the size of its campus when it opened the doors of the A. Alfred Taubman Center in September 2009. Since then, the Taubman Center enables the College to make profound impact on students, faculty, surrounding businesses and Detroit’s creative community.
There is nothing like it anywhere in the world.
Features of the Taubman Center:
- 350-seat dining hall for students and community members
- Restaurant space for students and visitors
- Art and supply book store
- 300-bed student dormitory
- Detroit Creative Corridor Center
- Valade Family Gallery, a space for CCS alumni, students and local artists
- The Benson and Edith Ford Conference Center, including the 500-seat General Motors Auditorium and meeting rooms
- Tenant space for community businesses or nonprofit organizations
- Tim Hortons Coffee Shop
- 11,200 square foot gymnasium
- 500-car parking structure and 230 spaces of surface parking
- Energy-efficient and sustainable design, construction and operations
- LEED best practices and standards
The Taubman Center Houses:
- Five undergraduate design departments
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
- Product Design
- Transportation Design
- New Master of Fine Arts programs
- Transportation Design
- Graduate Design Research Center
- Color and Materials Library
- Continuing Education Programs
- Community Arts Partnerships (CAP) Program
- The Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies
- Built in 1928 and 1936 by General Motors
- Designed by Albert Kahn
- 760,000 square feet
- GM's first engineering and research building under Charles "Boss" Kettering
- Home of the first automotive design studio under Harley Earl
- Walter B. Ford II launched his career in product, exhibit, and interior design in the Argonaut Building
- Birthplace of the Hydramatic (world's first automatic transmission) and the Buick Y-Job (world's first concept car)
- Vacated by GM in 1999 and donated to CCS by GM in 2008.
Construction Facts and Highlights
- 1.5 million square feet of drywall was used in the renovation of the building.
- 500,000 lbs of sheet metal was used in the renovation of the building.
- 10,000 light fixtures illuminate the Taubman Center.
- 1,900 new high-tech energy-efficient windows are installedreplicated from the building’s original windows .
- Visitors to the Taubman Center can choose from 6 stairwells and 10 elevators to make their way up and down the building.
- 7394 Cubic yards or 2000 tons of concrete poured for the parking structure.
- 800- miles of electrical and ethernet cable wired to create a state-of-the art "wireless" communications facility.
- $145 million is the project cost to develop the Taubman Center and upgrade CCS’s Ford Campus
- General Motors donated the former Argonaut Building to CCS in 2008.
- A mile is the distance between CCS’s Ford Campus in Detroit’s Cultural Center and the Taubman Center in the New Center district.
- 760,000 square feet is the size of the building occupying 11 floors
- The development of the Taubman Center created 1,000 temporary construction jobs
- Some 300 CCS students will reside in the Taubman Center, creating a 24/7 presence in Detroit’s New Center district.
- Nearly 900 middle and high school students learning art and design at the new Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies.
- The world’s first concept car was built by General Motors in what is now the Taubman Center.
- Important work here in the 1930’s included the first fully automatic transmission, the Hydra-matic.
- The Taubman Center will create 200 permanent jobs and bring 2,000 people to Detroit’s New Center district every day.
- The first design department in the history of the auto industry, operated by the legendary Charles “Boss” Kettering, was housed in the Taubman Center.
- The historic building was designed by Albert Kahn and constructed in two parts in 1928 and 1936.
- The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The goal of the Advancing the Creative Spirit campaign is to raise $55 million for the Taubman Center.
- CCS’s Community Arts Partnership programs serve 4,000 Detroit youth annually
- The College for Creative Studies was founded in 1908 as the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts.
- The Buick Y-Job, the world’s first “dream car” was developed by General Motors in this building.
- 1300 students annually attend CCS pursuing Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in 11 majors.