College for Creative Studies: Liberal Arts
Teaching and writing Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, and Memoir.
Women's and Nonwestern literatures including Post Colonialism, Magical Realism, etc.
Laura Bernstein-Machlay is an award-winning writer who teaches literature and creative writing at The College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI. Her work has appeared in many national and international journals and magazines. Her full-length collection of creative nonfiction essays, Travelers, was published in May of 2018, and was recently named a finalist in Foreword Review's INDIE book award. She has been nominated for multiple Pushcart Prizes in both the essay and poetry categories.
Full-length Creative Nonfiction Collection:
- Travelers , Sonder Press, 2018.
Recent (2018-19) and forthcoming essay publications:
- Hotel Amerika: Church of Holy Pharmaceuticals (Forthcoming)
- Chiron Review: Why I got my Latest Tattoo (Forthcoming)
- NILVX II(III): God at Breakfast; Satan at Supper (Forthcoming)
- Still Point Arts Quarterly: Why I Might Not Return to the Writers’ Workshop. Spring 2019
- Concho River: In the Brambles. Spring 2018
- *In the Brambles was nominated for a 2018 Pushcart Prize by Concho River Review
- Front Range: Strays. Spring 2018
- The American Scholar: Present Tense. Vol. 87 #4. Autumn 2018
- Bridge Eight: Garbage. Archetypes Issue. 2018
Recent readings and presentations:
- Reading—Biblioasis Bookshop
- Reading—PuppetArt Series.
- Reading—Good Times Writers Buffet
- Reading—Huntington Woods Public Library.
- Presentation—Detroit Working Writers Conference.
- Book Signing—B&N Bookstore.
- Reading—Literati Bookstore.
- Interview—Pulse Magazine.
- Reading—Sinister Wisdom Bookstore.
- Interview—CMN TV.
- Reading/Book Launch—Pages Bookstore.
- Reading—Eastside Reading Series.