Modes of communication and new languages; storytelling, personal aesthetics, performance, and social practice in relation to identity formation; dead technologies and their connection to a digital world; the ephemeral/physical nature of experiencing longing, loss, and desire.
Northrup is an artist, filmmaker, curator, and educator who has exhibited with museums, galleries, film and design festivals, and alternative spaces in the US, Canada, and Finland. He has received funding for projects produced with Henry Ford Health System’s Pediatric Behavioral Health patients, and volunteered with Ground Hero Kids post-9/11. While living in New York, he worked in commercial production, freelanced as a graphic designer, and collaborated with other artists and filmmakers. He was a Teaching Assistant for 16mm Film Production, Media Design, and Digital Design courses at The New School, and upon graduation, was the invited guest lecturer for Electronic Media & Live Performance. In 2006, he began teaching at CCS, where he took an active role in evaluating and shaping the Entertainment Arts curricula. Northrup teaches courses in narrative, documentary, and experimental filmmaking, as well as socially conscious interdisciplinary studios that are open to all CCS students.
- Empty Gestures, solo exhibition, Hatch Art, Hamtramck, MI
- Desire As Politics, co-curator/catalogue designer, Valade Gallery, Detroit, MI
- Essay’d 2 // 30 Detroit Artists, featured artist/poster designer, WSU Press, Detroit, MI
- Zines — Alone. and MEN republished by Nokturno, Finland
- “Scott Northrup”, feature and interview in DDEAF magazine, Detroit, MI
- Enter Text Residency, artist/resident, Arteles Creative Center, Haukijärvi, Finland
- I Was Right Here The Whole Time, solo exhibition, Hatch Art; reviewed on hyperallergic.com
- Published 5 zines, artist/writer/designer, Finland/USA
- Dlectricity: Video Center, featured artist, N’Namdi Center for Contemporary Art, Detroit, MI
- “Dream Machines”, commission, Detroit Design Festival, Detroit, MI
- Scott Northrup, solo exhibition, Gesamtkunstwerk Projektraum, Miami, FL
- A Detroit Collective, group exhibition and film screening, University of Michigan, Detroit, MI
- On Holiday, film screening, Mothlight Microcinema, Detroit, MI
- Pop Rally: Abstract Currents, video projections, MoMA, NY