Professor Susan LaPorte’s research interests include Graphic Design History, Type Design, Publication Design and Exhibition Design and Curation.
Susan LaPorte's professional experience includes working as a Graphic Designer in the Publication Office at the California Institute of Arts; and in the Design Department at Walker Art Center. After working professionally for a few years, LaPorte accepted a full-time teaching position at the Eastern Michigan University. In 1997, she was hired at College for Creative Studies as graphic designer for the Publication Office and adjunct professor. In 1999, LaPorte accepted a full-time teaching position at the College. Partial list of clients include University Musical Society, Ann Arbor, Michigan; College for Creative Studies; and Focus Hope.
PUBLISHED DESIGN WORK
- Eye, Emigre, Print
- Typography Now I
- Type Design & Radical Innovations and Experimentation
- American Center for Design (ACD) 100 Shows (no. 16, 18, 21)
- AIGA Detroit Review (2003, 2005, 2007)
- I Profess...Exhibition, Michigan State University, East Lansing MI
- In Cahoots Alumni Show, California Institute of the Art
- AIGA Get Out the Vote Initiative 2004, 2008, & 2012
- AIGA Design Education Conference Geographics: Design, Education and the Transnational Terrain in Honolulu, HA - 2012
- Presenter at the RGD Design Education Conference in Toronto, CA – 2014
DESIGN CURATORIAL WORK
- Exhibit A: Evidence of Pleasure; Design + Business; and Revolution/Evolution.
- BFA, University of Illinois at Chicago; MFA, California Institute of the Arts