DIVISION: Enrollment Services – Academic Advising
REPORTS TO: Director of Advising
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Academic Advisor is responsible for providing academic advising and registration services to students. CCS Academic Advisors will be expected to understand and communicate curriculum requirements of each department on campus. The position will work closely with students, faculty, department administrators, and department chairs to assist students in their major decisions. The Advisor will work on information sessions, orientation and commencement activities. Advisors are expected to provide excellent student support and assist with retention efforts as required.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Advise students on major goals, curriculum and relevant issues, course selection and planning.
- Register students in person or explain the Student Planning registration process. Process applicable advising and registration forms such as complete withdraws, adds/drops etc.
- Contribute to the support of incoming student body through orientation and by providing helpful explanations of policies and procedures, registration process, and general campus information.
- Read and interpret the academic evaluations and transcripts.
- Audit academic evaluations to ensure students are following curriculum and assess potential problems.
- Monitor and track student progress and follow up with students. Prepare degree plans for students.
- Place holds on student records and communicate academic/hold status to students who are in need of advising regarding curriculum, grade point average, midterm grades etc.
- Develop proficiency in CCS curriculum, use of colleague, the College’s administrative database, for student records, and business functions.
- Advise at-risk students as needed. Prepare Academic Success Plans as needed.
- Act as Mobility Program Coordinator (if assigned to that position).
- Assist with Academic Advising and Registration office support (phone coverage, filing, front desk coverage).
- Work cooperatively across campus with Students, Enrollment and Student Services Offices, Department Administrators, Chairs, Faculty and Mentors.
- Maintain an open door policy for all students needing assistance.
- Perform additional duties as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required and 2-4 years academic advising experience; a Master’s degree in College Student Personnel or related field is strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of tact, empathy and diplomacy.
- Ability to work diplomatically and effectively with faculty, staff, and students, and to use sound judgment.
- Detail oriented with outstanding organizational, problem solving and multi-tasking skills.
- Previous experience in an academic environment is preferred.
- Proficient computer skills are required in MS Word, Excel.
- Experience in Colleague, BlackBoard, WebAdvisor/Student Planning, and ImageNow, preferred.
ABOUT CCS: College for Creative Studies is a nonprofit institution; it is one of the leading art and design colleges in the world. CCS is ranked by LinkedIn as a top three design school in the US and the best in the Midwest, based on alumni success. CCS has state-of-the-art facilities to support the complete range of creative production, from traditional art forms such as painting, glassblowing, foundry, and printmaking, to the most contemporary systems, including the latest digital imaging technology and extensive rapid prototyping output tools. The College currently enrolls more than 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students. It awards the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Advertising Design, Communication Design, Crafts, Entertainment Arts, Fashion Accessories Design, Fine Arts, Illustration, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design and Transportation Design, and the Master of Fine Arts degrees in Color and Materials Design, Interaction Design, Integrated Design and Transportation Design. An Art Education Teacher Certification program is also available.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The search will close when a suitable candidate is hired. Interested candidates should submit the following in PDF format: Resume and a letter of application should be submitted to: ude.seidutsevitaercrofegelloc@rh
The College for Creative Studies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.