STATUS: Full-Time position, 35 hours per week, 10 months per year
REPORTS TO: Chair of Crafts Department
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Crafts Technician is responsible for maintaining all Crafts facilities including Glass, Ceramics, Fibers and Textile Design, Art Furniture, and Metalsmithing and Jewelry Design studios.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Work independently to maintain Craft equipment.
- Establish and implement ongoing maintenance schedule for all Crafts equipment.
- Oversee materials and equipment purchases in all Crafts studios.
- Oversee work-study students’ studios.
- Maintain equipment in all Crafts studios, including maintenance and rebuild of furnaces, kilns, looms, casting equipment, tools and studio-based resources.
- Monitor charging the furnace and firing the kilns in the Glass and Ceramics studios.
- Coordinate with Section Chair in ordering, organization, and maintaining the availability of material resources in all Crafts studios.
- Assist faculty and students in equipment protocols and safe use of Crafts facilities.
- Communicate health and safety concerns to the Section Chairs.
- Monitor and address equipment issues relative to repair or replacement.
- Work with faculty, staff and administration in facility and project planning.
- Perform additional duties as requested by Section Chairs and faculty.
- Maintain and assist with the use of digital fabrication equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or related experience;
- Excellent organizational and outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Excellent writing ability;
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and preferred expertise in image management software including Adobe Photoshop);
- The maturity to manage confidential student and faculty matters;
- High energy and motivation to be a self-starter, with the ability to multi-task, manage multiple projects and is capable of working in a fast-paced environment, with changing priorities;
- Provide extra support outside the traditional weekly schedule during periods of academic priorities.
- A willingness to work with a highly diverse team of talented and creative people;
- An interest in design and the arts.
Crafts technician is required to stand for extended periods of time, and lift heavy objects on a regular basis.
College for Creative Studies is a nonprofit institution; it is one of the leading art and design colleges in the world. CCS is ranked by LinkedIn as a top three design school in the US and the best in the Midwest, based on alumni success. CCS has state-of-the-art facilities to support the complete range of creative production, from traditional art forms such as painting, glassblowing, foundry, and printmaking, to the most contemporary systems, including the latest digital imaging technology and extensive rapid prototyping output tools. The College currently enrolls more than 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students. It offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 13 majors: Advertising Design, Art Education, Art Practice, Communication Design, Craft and Material Studies, Entertainment Arts, Fashion Accessories Design, Illustration, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design, and Transportation Design. It also offers a Master’s degrees in four majors: Color and Materials Design, Interaction Design, Systems Design Thinking, and Transportation Design.
The College for Creative Studies, a leading college of art and design, represents a community composed of individuals with many perspectives, personal experiences, values, identities and worldviews and we value the diversity this brings to our organization. CCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
The College for Creative Studies subscribes to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment, admissions and educational practices and strives to provide an environment and workplace free from unlawful harassment or discrimination. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are part of our Core Institutional Values and we encourage applications from all individuals.
How to Apply
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The search will close when a suitable candidate is hired.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit letter of interest and resume, including the names of three professional references to: email@example.com
Crafts Department Webpage: https://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/crafts
Crafts – Students Perspective Webpage:https://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/crafts
CCS Website: https://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu
The College for Creative Studies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.