Marketing Manager – Design Core Detroit
DIVISION: Strategy & Communications
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing, CCS
SUPERVISES: FT, PT, and temporary graphic design and social media staff
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Marketing Manager develops and implements the strategy and execution for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Design Core’s mission. S/he/they serves as the communications lead on all Design Core programs and initiatives, ensuring they reach and engage targeted and appropriate audiences. Programs include, but are not limited to: General Operations, City of Design, Month of Design, and Business Programs. This position uses all of Design Core’s communication channels and resources to tell a story about its impact and the relevance of Detroit’s design community.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of the annual communications plan in support of Design Core’s strategic objectives.
- Develop and actively manage all communications and marketing systems, channels, and processes needed to achieve organizational goals and objectives, including but not limited to advertising, social media, website, email campaigns, newsletters, reports, presentations, fundraising decks, and more.
- Establish, track and analyze metrics that test the effectiveness of marketing and communications activities across all platforms and utilize the information to inform organizational decision making.
- Work to segment Design Core’s audiences for the purpose of executing targeted marketing and communications campaigns and achieving high level engagement.
- Steward Design Core’s brand through all marketing and communications activities, print and digital materials, and other visual executions, while ensuring integration with the CCS brand.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral and content including but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, signage, annual report, social media channels, website, video, and special projects as assigned. Manage all vendors and production deadlines to deliver these materials.
- Develop and disseminate digital content that engages audience segments, delivers earned media and leads to measurable action.
- Provide copywriting, images, data and other related content for the completion of grant and conference proposals, applications, presentations and reports.
- Identify and manage external promotional and media partnerships that advance Design Core marketing objectives.
- Work with external public relations support to implement public relations strategy. Draft and edit talking points, media releases, and other written pieces to support marketing and public relations objectives. Maintain lists of media contacts and relationships.
- Deliver and report on all marketing benefits associated with event and program sponsorships
- Provide direct supervision of full-time, part-time, temporary or contractual staff to execute marketing and communications tactics.
- Host tours and visits of media representatives and other constituencies that can help support Design Core’s marketing objectives.
- Attend outside promotional events as a Design Core representative, as requested.
- Stay abreast of emerging design trends that may impact Design Core’s marketing and communications strategy.
- Maintain familiarity with Detroit’s design community, especially the Detroit Design Network, City of Design partners, Month of Design event organizers, and sponsors.
- Manage Design Core Marketing budget
- Other duties as assigned by the Director(s)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have a proven record of leadership experience in the above responsibilities.
- Knowledge and understanding of design industries, ecosystem and its needs are preferred. Enthusiasm for and appetite to learn more about the design industries is required.
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication. Excellent vocabulary, grammar, and familiarity with AP Stylebook. Experience in creating corporate content and copywriting.
- Ability to develop messaging strategies to support marketing and communications goals, including storytelling, social media campaigns, email marketing and more.
- Strong visual eye and understanding of brand management concepts.
- Ability to utilize various technology platforms and systems in pursuit of goals and objectives is required, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Proficiency in Design Core’s other current technology tools and platforms is preferred, including WordPress, Neon, Mailchimp, Eventbrite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Drive, Neon, Asana, Slack, Google Analytics and Submittable.
- Strong organizational skills required, including high attention to detail.
- Experience leading a team of creative professionals (freelance or intern) to complete projects on time and in full is preferred.
- The ability to speak in front of large groups and to varying audiences ranging from students to C-level talent, is preferred.
- Must be a self-starter, creative thinker, and interested in exploring innovative approaches.
- Must be flexible and comfortable solving problems and making decisions in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to balance competing demands and pressures while producing superior results.
- Interest in supporting an office culture and environment that motivates the whole team to strive for excellence, while having fun doing it.
- Must be willing to work some evenings and weekends. Some business travel may be required.
This job operates in a professional office and college campus environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Most days require working on a computer, making phone calls, or participating in meetings. Sometimes there are short trips to external meetings or events. This position occasionally requires giving or hosting tours. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
ABOUT DESIGN CORE
A program within College for Creative Studies, Design Core offers services to strengthen, grow and attract design business, strengthen market demand for design services, and tell Detroit’s design story locally and globally. We are a small but mighty team of energetic, self-driven, compassionate doers. We’re looking for others who see gaps and opportunities and take independent, thoughtful action to initiate programs and processes in response.
College for Creative Studies is a nonprofit institution; it is one of the leading art and design colleges in the world. CCS is ranked by LinkedIn as a top three design school in the US and the best in the Midwest, based on alumni success. CCS has state-of-the-art facilities to support the complete range of creative production, from traditional art forms such as painting, glassblowing, foundry, and printmaking, to the most contemporary systems, including the latest digital imaging technology and extensive rapid prototyping output tools. The College currently enrolls more than 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students. It offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 13 majors: Advertising Design, Art Education, Art Practice, Communication Design, Craft and Material Studies, Entertainment Arts, Fashion Accessories Design, Illustration, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design, and Transportation Design. It also offers a Master’s degree in four majors: Color and Materials Design, Interaction Design, Systems Design Thinking, and Transportation Design.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The search will close when a suitable candidate is hired. Interested candidates should submit the following in PDF format: Resume and a letter of application should be submitted to: hr@collegeforcreativestudies.
CCS website: http://www.
The College for Creative Studies, a leading college of art and design, represents a community composed of individuals with many perspectives, personal experiences, values, identities and worldviews and we value the diversity this brings to our organization. The College for Creative Studies subscribes to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment, admissions and educational practices and strives to provide an environment and workplace free from unlawful harassment or discrimination. Discrimination, including harassment, because of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law is strictly prohibited. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are part of our Core Institutional Values and we encourage applications from all individuals.