Fashion Accessories Design
Creating A Sustainable Future
The College for Creative Studies is proud to announce Creating a Sustainable Future — A Fashion Accessories Design Challenge.
The FAD Design Challenge is an international high school student competition, engaging students to embrace sustainability in response to the challenges within the fashion accessory industry. Entrants are encouraged to find creative alternative ways to transform materials and designs into fashion accessories defined as footwear, handbags, or other accessories that compliment apparel. Evidence of a technical approach, craftsmanship with the focus on creative thinking, meaningful and sustainable up-cycling design solutions for effective environmental value are optimal. The theme encompasses cultural, ethical and environmental change. This scholarship competition is made possible by a generous gift from Danialle and Peter Karmanos, Jr.
Current Graduating High School Seniors + Transfer Students
Two $40,000 Scholarships to the Fashion Accessories Design undergraduate program at CCS and a trip to Detroit to receive the award on April 2, 2019.
Current High School Students (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or International Equivalent)
Up to Ten $3,500 Full Scholarships to attend CCS Fashion Accessories Design Residency, Summer 2019 (Precollege Summer Experience).
Who Can Enter:
- Current high school students who will have completed their freshman year by July 1, 2019.
- Students currently enrolled in a college program seeking to transfer.
- US and international students.
- Create an account on SlideRoom.
- Upload mood board, up to 5 illustrations, 90 second video or 300 word max written summary of your vision.
- Submissions must follow the theme of sustainability for the competition.
- Complete the Fashion Design Challenge Competition Entry Form.
- Complete the admissions application for the College of Creatives Studies.
Timing & Deadlines:
- September 1, 2018: Competition submission opens
- December 1, 2018 by midnight: Competition entry and CCS Application deadline
- December 15, 2018 (via mail): Winners announced
- April 2, 2019: Winners honored at the Fashion Symposium in Detroit
- The decisions of the judges shall be final and binding in all matters pertaining to the Competition.
- Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to, privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
- Entry must be the original work of Entrant.
- Aki Choklat, CCS
- Myriam Coudoux, Swarovski
- Jonci Cukier, Eileen Fisher
- Ben Ewy, Carhartt
- Jen Guarino, Shinola
- Danialle Karmanos
- Tracy Reese
- Adrien Yakimov Roberts, Ambassador of London Graduate Fashion Week
- Dora Szilagyi, Adidas
The Judges will evaluate each Finalist's entry according to the following weighted criteria, each weighted at 25%:
- Concept and Presentation
Finalists with the highest overall scores from the Judges will be deemed potential winners pending verification of eligibility and compliance with these guidelines, as determined by CCS at its sole discretion.
Current Graduating High School Seniors + Transfer Students:
The winning students will be placed in the Fall 2019 Fashion Accessories Design undergraduate program at CCS. Students must be accepted and enrolled at CCS in order to receive this prize. Students must remain enrolled in Fashion Accessories Design at CCS in good academic standing.
Scholarship of $40,000 will be applied over 4 years ($10,000 per year for 4 years). If the first-place winner does not accept the award, this award will be given to the next highest qualifier from Competition. No cash equivalent will be awarded in lieu of scholarship.
Winner must meet all admissions criteria of College for Creative Studies and be admitted and enrolled as a full-time student.
Current High School Freshman, Sophomore, Juniors:
Up to Ten $3,500 full scholarships to attend CCS Fashion Accessories Design Residency, summer 2019 (Precollege Summer Experience).
The winning students will need to complete the application for the Precollege Summer Experience in order to confirm their Residency scholarship and registration.
This scholarship is provided by the College for Creative Studies and Danialle and Peter Karmanos, Jr. and is subject to change.
Entrants retain your rights to your illustration; however, by entering the contest, you grant the College for Creative Studies (CCS) a fully paid, royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any CCS purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the CCS Fashion Accessories Design Challenge, and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to College for Creative Studies publications.