Fashion Accessories Design
Full Scholarships Available for Fashion Accessories Design Summer Camp
CCS is excited to offer 10 high school students an opportunity to attend the College’s Precollege Fashion Accessories Design (FAD) Summer Camp at no cost. The three-week camp earns each student three college credits. All students entering the contest will have their work judged by industry professionals, but only 10 will be offered a scholarship that will cover the cost of attending the camp, travel to the camp, housing, food and materials.
The Fashion Accessories Design Residency Competition is made possible by a generous gift from Danialle and Peter Karmanos, Jr.
The competition is conducted in two stages:
Stage One: FAD Residents
Ten FAD Residents will be selected from all submissions by a jury of esteemed industry professionals. Each Resident will receive a scholarship to attend the College for Creative Studies Precollege Summer Experience “Fashion Accessories Design” program and earn three college credits (value up to $4,435). The award includes three weeks of faculty-led FAD studio class, three transferable college credits, housing, food materials and activities and round-trip transportation from the Resident’s hometown to Detroit MI (up to $800 allowance for travel).
The CCS Precollege Summer Experience (PCSE) brings high school students from around the country and the world to the CCS campus to live, learn and study with CCS faculty.
FAD Residents will be in a dedicated advanced version of the PCSE program.
Stage Two: FAD Scholar
FAD Residents who are rising seniors who apply to CCS from high school will be eligible to compete for a $40,000 scholarship to attend the college for Creative Studies undergraduate program in Fashion Accessories Design. Scholarship will be applied $10,000 per year for four years.
THEME: CCS is asking students to embrace sustainability in response to the challenges within the fashion accessory industry. Entrants are encouraged to find creative alternative ways to transform materials and designs into fashion accessories defined as footwear, handbags, or other accessories that compliment apparel. Creative thinking and meaningful and sustainable up-cycling design solutions for effective environmental value are optimal. The theme encompasses cultural, ethical and environmental change.
What is Sustainable Fashion?
Submissions are due March 1, 2020. For more information and to submit your entry, visit Slideroom.
Who May Enter
- Current high school freshman, sophomores and juniors or international equivalent who will have completed their first year by July 1, 2020.
- Students currently enrolled in a college program seeking to transfer.
- US and international students
- Create an account on Slideroom
- Upload up to 5 illustrations and a 300 word max written or video summary of your vision - following the theme of sustainability. Tell us why sustainability is important to you.
** Most of the winners had no previous experience. We teach you all the basic skills.
Timing & Deadlines
September 1, 2019
Competition start date, begin submissions
March 1, 2020
March 15, 2020
- May 15, 2020
Winners must accept award and submit PCSE commitment forms
- June 1, 2020
Winners confirm travel arrangements with CCS
- July 12 – August 2, 2020
CCS Precollege Summer Experience
- Aki Choklat - Chair CCS Fashion Accessories Design
- Danialle Karmanos - Philanthropist
- Akiko Inui - Group Vice President, PVH
- Tracy Reese – Tracy Reese and Hope for Flowers
- Adrien Yakimov Roberts, Ambassador of London Graduate Fashion Week
- Nina Dahl, Tory Burch
The Judges will evaluate each Finalist's entry according to the following criteria, each weighted at 25%:
- Concept and Presentation
Finalists with the highest overall scores from the Judges will be deemed potential winners pending verification of eligibility and compliance with these guidelines, as determined by CCS at its sole discretion.
- The decisions of the judges shall be final and binding in all matters pertaining to the Competition
- Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to, privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement
- Entry must be the original work of Entrant
- Entrants retain your rights to your illustration; however, by entering the contest, you grant the College for Creative Studies (CCS) a fully paid, royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any CCS purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the CCS Fashion Accessories Design Challenge, and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to College for Creative Studies publications.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Pompano Beach, Florida
Miami Gardens, Florida
FAD Scholar Program
After successfully completing the CCS FAD Resident Precollege Summer Experience, each Resident who is a rising senior will be eligible to receive the FAD Scholar award to attend CCS’s undergraduate Fashion Accessories Design program. Students must be accepted and enrolled at CCS in order to receive this award.**
Scholarship will be applied over 4 years, $10,000 per year.
If the first place winner does not accept the award, this award will be given to the next highest qualifier from the Resident group. No cash equivalent will be awarded in lieu of scholarship. Winner must meet all admissions criteria of College for Creative Studies and be admitted as a full time student.
This scholarship is provided by the College for Creative Studies and Danialle and Peter Karmanos, Jr. and is subject to change.
**The College for Creative Studies FAD Scholar award will be awarded to one high school graduating FAD Resident in 2020. Selection of the FAD Scholar will be made by a panel of qualified judges. The FAD Scholar will be selected from a cohort of graduating FAD Residents who have successfully completed the Precollege Summer Experience program. Chances of winning the FAD Scholar award will vary depending on the number of graduating senior who have complete the FAD Resident Precollege Summer Experience program. The FAD Scholar award winner must be a graduating senior who has completed the CCS admissions process and has been officially admitted. Scholarships are to be used to enroll in the CCS FAD undergraduate BFA program.