Fashion Design Competition
Full Scholarships Available for Fashion Design Summer Camp
CCS is excited to offer 10 high school students an opportunity to attend the College’s Precollege Fashion Design Summer Camp at no cost. The three-week camp earns each student three college credits. All students entering the contest will have their work judged by industry professionals, but only 10 will be offered a scholarship that will cover the cost of attending the camp, travel to the camp, housing, food and materials.
The Fashion Design Residency Competition is made possible by a generous gift from Danialle and Peter Karmanos, Jr.
Ten Fashion Residents will be selected from all submissions by a jury of esteemed industry professionals. Each Resident will receive a scholarship to attend the College for Creative Studies Precollege Summer Experience Fashion Design program and earn three college credits (value up to $4,435). The award includes three weeks of faculty-led FAD studio class, three transferable college credits, housing, food materials and activities and round-trip transportation from the Resident’s hometown to Detroit MI (up to $800 allowance for travel).
The CCS Precollege Summer Experience (PCSE) brings high school students from around the country and the world to the CCS campus to live, learn and study with CCS faculty. Fashion Residents will be in a dedicated advanced version of the PCSE program.
Note: In the case that we are not able to offer an on-campus experience in Summer 2022, due to COVID or other significant extenuating circumstances, the Fashion Precollege Summer Experience will be offered online. Scholarship awards from this program are tuition waivers for the Precollege Summer Experience program only, and have no cash value. Fashion Residents will participate in an advanced version of the PCSE Fashion Design program.
The Future of Fashion: Submit a mood board that includes inspirational images, your ideation, and fashion drawings and a one-page statement that summarizes your vision for designs and the Future of Fashion. The board can be digital or hand made. The importance is creativity!
Submissions are due March 1, 2023. For more information and to submit your entry, visit Slideroom.
Who May Enter
- Current high school freshman, sophomores and juniors or international equivalent who will have completed their first year by July 1, 2023.
- US and international students
- Create an account on Slideroom
- Upload up to 5 illustrations (can be illustrations that were included in the mood board) and a 300-word max written or video summary of your vision – following the theme of sustainability. Tell us why sustainability is important to you.** Most of the winners had no previous experience. We teach you all the basic skills.
Timing & Deadlines
- October 15, 2022
Contest start date. Begin submissions.
- March 1, 2023
- May 1, 2023
- May 15, 2023
Winners must accept award and submit Precollege Summer Experience commitment form
- June 1, 2023
Winners confirm travel arrangements with CCS
- July 9 – July 29, 2023
CCS Precollege Summer Experience
Judges & Judging
- Aki Choklat – Chair CCS Fashion Accessories Design
- Danialle Karmanos – Philanthropist
- Akiko Inui – Group Vice President, PVH
- Tracy Reese – Tracy Reese and Hope for Flowers
- Adrien Yakimov Roberts, Ambassador of London Graduate Fashion Week
- Nina Dahl, Tory Burch
- Diana Costescu, Director of Talent Acquisition, Tapestry
The Judges will evaluate each Finalist’s entry according to the following criteria, each weighted at 25%:
- Concept and Presentation
Finalists with the highest overall scores from the Judges will be deemed potential winners pending verification of eligibility and compliance with these guidelines, as determined by CCS at its sole discretion.
- The decisions of the judges shall be final and binding in all matters pertaining to the Competition
- Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to, privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement
- Entry must be the original work of Entrant
- Entrants retain your rights to your illustration; however, by entering the contest, you grant the College for Creative Studies (CCS) a fully paid, royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to publicly display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or later developed, for any CCS purpose, including, but not limited to, advertising and promotion of the CCS Fashion Accessories Design Challenge, and its website, exhibition, and commercial products, including but not limited to College for Creative Studies publications.
2019 FAD Residents
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Pompano Beach, Florida
Miami Gardens, Florida
Fashion Scholar Program
After successfully completing the CCS Fashion Residency at the Precollege Summer Experience, one Resident who is a rising senior will be eligible to receive the Fashion Scholar Award to attend CCS’s undergraduate Fashion Design program. Student must be accepted and enrolled at CCS in order to receive this award.**
Scholarship will be applied over 4 years, $10,000 per year.
If the first place winner does not accept the award, this award will be given to the next highest qualifier from the Resident group. No cash equivalent will be awarded in lieu of scholarship. Winner must meet all admissions criteria of College for Creative Studies and be admitted as a full time student.
This scholarship is provided by the College for Creative Studies and Danialle and Peter Karmanos, Jr. and is subject to change.
**The College for Creative Studies Fashion Scholar award will be awarded to one high school graduating Fashion Resident in 2022. Selection of the Fashion Scholar will be made by a panel of qualified judges. The Fashion Scholar will be selected from a cohort of graduating Fashion Residents who have successfully completed the Precollege Summer Experience program. Chances of winning the Fashion Scholar award will vary depending on the number of graduating senior who have complete the Fashion or FAD Resident Precollege Summer Experience program. The Fashion Scholar award winner must be a graduating senior who has completed the CCS admissions process and has been officially admitted. Scholarships are to be used to enroll in the CCS Fashion Design undergraduate BFA program.