Each year, in collaboration with the Student Success Center, the International Student Service Organization (ISSO) hosts a week-long International Student Orientation. This early orientation for incoming international students takes place the week ahead of New Student Orientation. Giving international students the opportunity to move into campus early, the week is full of events and opportunities specially designed to give new international students the tools and time they need to begin acclimating to a new culture and city. Some of the highlights of International Orientation include:
- Basics: cell phones, bank accounts, drivers’ licenses, etc.
- Familiarization with immigration rules and regulations
- Academic advising, registration, and class schedules
- Workshops for academic success strategies, English language preparation, and cultural acclimation
- Campus tours
- Walking tour of Midtown Detroit
- Shopping trips
- Nightly social events
- Meet your CCS Student Ambassador
During International Orientation, new students begin making friendships and connections that will last for their entire academic program at CCS, and beyond.
As a new student you will have a pre-departure guide prepared for you. This useful reference will be emailed to you, after you have enrolled at CCS to help you plan for your move to Detroit.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about arrival to CCS
Booking your flights? We recommend DTW, Detroit Metropolitan Airport, usually called “Metro Airport”, or just “DTW”. This is a major international airport located outside the city. https://www.metroairport.com/ .
Transportation from the airport:
Students arriving for fall term may reserve a CCS shuttle van from the airport. Alternatively you may take a TAXI or UBER car from the airport to CCS. Expect a fee, and an approximately 30 to 40 minute drive.
What to pack:
The CCS housing department has prepared a guide for what to bring to on-campus housing. You may also ship items to the international office ahead of your arrival. There will be an opportunity to go shopping for basic supplies during orientation. And in addition, if you live on-campus the International Office offers housing welcome bag, and a basic start dormitory package that you may order, prior to your arrival. The welcome pack will help make your first night at CCS more comfortable, and will be available in your room when you arrive.
Local Area Information:
What You'll Do At Orientation
- Get your student ID and parking pass
- Enjoy lunch with fellow students
- Meet your department chair
- Confirm your class schedule with Academic Advising and Registration
- Overview of support/success services on campus
- Have chances to win CCS swag
- Tour campus so you’ll know where to go for classes
- Meet new people and make new friends
Graduate orientation will provide new students with an opportunity to meet fellow classmates, program chairs and academic and student services support team members. It is designed to connect you with the CCS community, learn more about resources and services that are available to you and explore campus and Detroit. Students will also have an opportunity to participate in Welcome Week activities.