College for Creative Studies: Fine Arts
A Chicago and Milwaukee native, Tyanna Buie is Assistant Professor of Fine Arts and Printmaking at the College for Creative Studies.
A Chicago and Milwaukee native, Tyanna Buie is Assistant Professor of Fine Arts and Printmaking at the College for Creative Studies. Buie is a visual artist who received her BA from Western Illinois University, and her MFA from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She has attended Artists-In-Residency programs, such as the Joan Mitchell Center in New Orleans, LA, the Women’s Studio Workshop in Rosendale, NY and the Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, VT, as well as maintaining a connection to the community by hosting printmaking workshops/demonstrations, and participating in Healthy Neighborhood Initiatives through the production of public art created for underserved neighborhoods.
Buie's work and research involves the re-visitation of adolescence, family structure, and the assemblage of personal experiences that encompasses mixed media, collage, drawing and painting, with an emphasis in printmaking.
Buie has taught at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design for 3.5 years before joining CCS in the fall of 2015. She has been a visiting artist lecturer in Tennessee, Georgia, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, Arizona, and Rhode Island, while continuing to exhibit her works in numerous juried, group and solo exhibitions throughout the country. More information can be found at tyannabuie.com.
- Western Michigan University, Monroe Brown Gallery, Kalamazoo, MI
- Mimetic Gestures Exhibition, Artist Talk: Tyanna Buie in conversation with Curator Lucy Mensah, Simone DeSousa Gallery, Detroit, MI
- SGCI Altered Landscapes 2018 Panel Chair: Print Culture in Detroit: A Parallel to the City, Las Vegas, NV
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts, Grand Rapids, MI
- Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL
- Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago, IL
- Lawrence University, Appleton, WI
- The Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee, WI
- The Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Madison, WI
- Haggerty Museum of Art, Milwaukee, WI
- Institute of Contemporary Art MECA, Portland, ME
- Erie Art Museum, Erie, PA In 2015, Buie received the Love of Humanity Award from the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, and a prestigious Joan Mitchell Foundation Painters & Sculptors Grant. Her work has been acquired by major intuitions and private collections nationally.