John has maintained a long-term studio practice focused on large-scale, contemporary landscape painting and interest in observational drawing, as well as working with Flint's FabLab to incorporate computer-aided imaging into his current art practice.
Associate Professor of painting, drawing, and two-dimensional design at Mott Community College for over 28 years, John has maintained a painting studio in Flint, Michigan for over 25 years. He has also taught drawing, painting and art history as an adjunct instructor at the University of Michigan/Flint, Saginaw Valley State University and Delta College.
- 'Being There', University of Michigan Hospital Gift of Art, Ann Arbor, MI
- 'John Dempsey: the Michigan Chronicle & Glare Series', Midland Center for the Arts, MI
- 'Interlocations' South Bend Museum of Art, Indiana
- 'Between Landscape and Place', Northville Art House, Northville, Michigan, 2015
- The Durham Art Center, Semans Gallery, 2014
- ARC Gallery, Chicago, Illinois, 2013
- Galleri Schaeffers Gate 5, Oslo, Norway
- Art From the Heartland, Indianapolis Art Center, Indiana
- Reimagining the Four Freedoms: Norman Rockwell and FDR’s, Roosevelt House, Hunter College, NY, New York (traveling through 2020).
- The Art in Embassies Program, U.S. State Department, Gabarone, Botswana
- The Herron School of Art and Design, Indianapolis, Indiana
In the collections of the Flint Institute of Art and the South Bend Museum of Art and is also represented in corporate and public art commissions including Detroit Metropolitan Airport