College for Creative Studies: Photography
As a photographic artist, Oakes' work explores themes of connection and perception through the lens of time, loss, and memory. Her inquiries are rooted in an understanding of history as mutable as seen through our own remembered experiences. Oakes is also the founder of Darkroom Detroit, a non-profit organization to improve photography education, access, and visual literacy in Detroit.
- Applebaum Emerging Artist Resident, Ponyride, Detroit, MI, 2016
- Public Art Project: "Graffiti Wanted," Detroit, MI, 2016
- Solo Exhibition: "Residual Loop," Tyler Wood Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2015
- Murphy & Cadogan Contemporary Art Award, The San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco, CA, 2013
- 25 Under 25: Up-And-Coming American Photographers, Vol. 2. Brooklyn, New York: powerHouse Books and the Center for Documentary Studies, 2008