Select Page

CCS Reopening Frequently Asked Questions

This page serves to answer questions students, faculty and staff may have regarding the College’s reopening. It will continue to be updated as information becomes available. 

COVID-19 Vaccine

Where Can I get the COVID-19 Vaccine

Vaccines are widely available for people 16+. Read more about local options here or search for pharmacies and clinics using

Can I get vaccinated on campus?

At this time, we are partnering with off-site locations, such as the TCF Center and Taylor Street Primary Care, to vaccinate our community.

Does it matter which type of vaccine I get?

No. All currently available vaccines (Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer, Moderna) are safe, highly effective, and have emergency use authorization by the FDA. Some vaccines, such as Novavax and Astra-Zeneca, are awaiting FDA approval, but are safely distributed in other countries. The best vaccine is the one most available to you.

Can I still get infected if I am vaccinated?

None of the current COVID-19 vaccines offer 100% protection against the virus. You could still become sick, but your risk of serious illness is very low. If you develop symptoms, get tested and begin isolation from others.

Are vaccines required to be on campus?

Students living in CCS Housing will be required to be fully vaccinated by the Fall 2021 semester. Commuter students and faculty/staff are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated, but we will not be maintaining records. More information can be found in the FAQs below or in the CCS COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.

How will safety policies change if I am vaccinated?
  • Less testing: Routine asymptomatic testing will no longer be necessary. Please get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • No quarantine needed: Per CDC guidelines, vaccinated individuals exposed to COVID-19 do not need to quarantine. You should monitor symptoms and if anything develops please stay home / get tested.
  • More freedom: Increased opportunities for campus events. Utilize common spaces in residence halls, and guest policies will be revised.
Do In need to wear a mask if I am vaccinated?

Masks will be optional based on individual needs and preferences.

What if I cannot obtain a COVID-19 Vaccine in my home country before coming to live at CCS

If you are traveling to the USA for the fall 2021 term, from a country where you do not yet have access to the COVID-19 vaccine, you will be able to get your COVID-19 vaccine in the USA when you arrive in late August or early September.

Please contact the International Student Services Office for more information.

Does CCS accept all vaccine types from all other countries?

Yes, all vaccine types and brands will be accepted as complying with the requirement.

I still have questions, who can I talk to?

Questions about the campus policy can be directed to Dan Long. Questions about testing, vaccines, and contact tracing can be directed to Emily VanWormer.

You may also wish to speak with your primary care doctor, or the Detroit Health Department Nurse line: 313-876-4000


How do I show proof of vaccination?

Residents will submit a photocopy of their vaccination card to for verification, mail a photocopy to Student Affairs, 201 E. Kirby, Detroit, MI 48202, or bring a photocopy to the Student Affairs Office in person.

When do I need to be vaccinated?

Students should be fully vaccinated before moving into campus. Please note, the two-dose vaccines take up to six weeks to reach fully vaccinated status. For example, if you plan to move in on August 28, you should start your two-dose vaccine series by July 17. We will assist students with incomplete vaccinations on a case-by-case basis.

Medical and Religious Exemptions

Exemptions will be permitted with documentation, please contact Dan Long if you need to complete a waiver.

International Student Vaccine Eligibility

International students are eligible for vaccinations here in the US. If you’re unable to get vaccinated before arriving on campus in the fall, we will help you arrange an appointment in Detroit.

Will I able to visit other residence hall apartments?

Residents will be permitted to visit other residence hall rooms and apartments without restrictions. All residents will be permitted to visit any residence hall spaces on campus (TC residents are permitted to visit ACB residents and vice versa).

Will guests that do not live in CCS Housing be permitted?

Yes, based on current State of Michigan positivity rates. Residents will be notified when restrictions on guests change and current guest policies will be posted at the front desks of the buildings.

Will the Taubman Center Fitness Room be open for Fall?

Yes. There may be capacity limitations depending on current State and CDC guidelines. Any capacity limits will be posted on the entrances to the fitness room.


I don’t know what all these terms mean when it comes to mode of instruction. Can you explain them?

In these FAQs and campus communications, we’ll refer to modes of instruction simply as online, hybrid, or in-person, but in fact, your course schedule will show as many as 7 types of instruction that fall into those categories. To see the full list of descriptions and codes, please visit here.

  • Online – Online learning is delivered 100% using the internet either synchronously (students log-in at the time of instruction) or asynchronously (students engage with pre-recorded classes, quizzes and posted materials) or a combination of the two.
  • Hybrid – Hybrid learning is where part of the class is taught online (see above), and part of the class is taught in-person (see below).
  • In-Person – students attend campus for timetabled classes in studios, labs, shops and classrooms. Social distancing measures will require that student groups are small, with numbers determined by the space available.
Are any tuition adjustments planned?

There are no tuition adjustments planned. CCS intends to provide a full semester of coursework.

Will the Pass/No Credit Policy be extended through the Winter 2021 semester?

The College made the decision to discontinue the Pass/No Credit system beginning in the Fall 2021 semester and continuing thereafter.

The College initiated the Pass/No Credit system during the 2020-2021 academic year throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. During that time, the College recognized that students may have needed assistance during COVID19 as many families dealt with extenuating circumstances. Since CCS is returning to in-person instruction, it is an appropriate time to discontinue the use of pass/no credit. This means that CCS will return to the traditional grade scheme of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, and F grades for undergraduate students and  A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, and F grades for graduate students.

To help students succeed in the upcoming academic year, we encourage all students to seek advice from academic advisors, faculty members, and use CCS resources such as the Center for Tutoring and Writing and your mentor. Please reach out to Academic Affairs if you have any questions at 313-664-1484.

Who do I contact if I need help with VDI or Software?

Students may contact the IT Help Desk for help with the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure or software issues. 

Students may also review case studies or access instructions for the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.

Will there be a Spring Break?

While a traditional Spring Break is not possible due to the pandemic, we will have a “Recharge Week.” Faculty are planning refreshing and inspiring activities during class time the week of March 8-13 that may include classroom demonstrations, tutorials, one-on-one sessions with students, and guest speakers, depending on the instructor. No assignments or critiques will be due during this time. All students, whether attending in person or remotely, will receive additional information directly from their faculty with details on this week as it draws closer.

International Students

Do I need a Negative COVID-19 Test prior to entering the USA?

Effective January 26, 2021, the CDC is requiring that visitors to the United States be tested before travelling by air into the United States (US), or be prepared to show proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel. A verifiable test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy) of a laboratory test result. Testing must be performed using a viral test (NAAT or antigen), and negative results must be provided to the airline prior to boarding. The test result documentation must include information that identifies the person, a specimen collection date and the type of test. A negative test result must show the test was done within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result must show the test was done within the 3 months before the flight.

View the CDC Order
View and print the Passenger Attestation 

What is the current ICE/DHS Guidance for Student Visas during the Covid 19 Pandemic?

CCS is providing Visa advising using the March 2020 DHS Guidance and FAQS for Non-Immigrant Students. The International Student Services Office will alert all new and continuing international students of the impactful sections as needed.

What happens to my Visa if there is an outbreak and CCS unexpectedly moves to all online courses?

In the event that the college has to move to an entirely online course delivery unexpectedly, your Visa status will be kept active from inside the USA or abroad.

Is it possible to attend online classes from abroad?

Yes, if you cannot return due to a current travel restriction please reach out to the International Student Services Office. Together with your department chair, we will develop a plan for your semester online.

Will I need to self-isolate when I arrive in Detroit?

CCS is strongly encouraging all students, faculty and staff to self-quarantine for two weeks and get tested prior to using campus facilities on January 25 to try to minimize any potential risk of COVID-19 transmission. Please continue to monitor your symptoms daily using the MI Symptoms app, wear a mask, maintain social distance, and avoid moderate and high-risk behaviors as much as possible both on and off campus. If you arrive on campus at a date later than January 25, please make similar arrangements. If you need to attend your courses remotely for a time, contact your Academic Program Administrator, or Academic Advisor for assistance.

Does taking classes online from outside the USA cause any issues regarding my student visa status?

Because of the changing nature of DHS Guidance during the Covid-19 Pandemic, We recommend you contact the International Student Services Office for more information on your specific situation. The ISSO will work with all International Students to optimize your ability to qualify for future opportunities and help you to maintain your visa status appropriately.

Can international students take online courses from other US States?

Because of the changing nature of DHS Guidance during the COVID-19 Pandemic, We recommend you contact the International Student Services Office for more information on your specific situation.

What if I cannot arrive to classes on time due to availability of flights or interruptions in travel, can I arrive late?

If you need to arrive late by a few days, or a week please contact the International Student Services Office to obtain a travel support letter to present at the border, and in some cases an adjusted Form I20. We strongly encourage you to communicate with your professors about your arrival plans and begin your classes online prior to entry. Please remember to check-in with the International Student Services Office by email immediately after entering the USA, and reporting to CCS. You can email , the Primary Designated School Official for CCS.

Where can I find information on travel restrictions currently in place?

For a list of Presidential Proclamations on travel to the USA, please refer to
For US/Canada land border restrictions and information, please refer to
For US/Mexico land border restrictions, please refer to

I paid my Visa fee but I am unable to secure an interview at my nearest US Consulate. What do I do?

Visa application fees and SEVIS fees are valid for one year from the date of payment. Please continue to work with the consulate nearest you, to schedule your VISA interview and update the International Student Services Office on your progress. We also recommend that you utilize the Education USA Office in your area for Visa support.

Can students obtain a COVID-19 Vaccine from CCS?

CCS is currently working with the City of Detroit Health Department and will provide updates to students when more information is available.

Campus Facilities

Will masks or face coverings be required on campus?

Masks will be optional based on individual needs and preferences.

Where can I eat on Campus?

While on campus, you may eat food in CCS dining facilities, outside on the grounds, or in your private office or dorm room. CCS Dining is open and available to students and employees with some changes to ensure health and safety of our campus community. Foods served in all dining locations are focused on prepared and packaged meal options in order to decrease the amount of employee and guest interaction and the amount of time required to purchase food. All self-service food items (salad bars, coffee and drink dispensers, soups), condiments, and utensils have been replaced with pre-packed items distributed by Continental staff members.

Diners must wear masks until they are seated and ready to eat. Seating capacity has been reduced by 50% and other social distancing measures, heightened sanitization, and clean practices have been instituted. Dining areas will be sanitized every 30 minutes during service hours.

In addition, all dining employees undergo daily health screenings and are required to wear masks and gloves at all times. Dining employees have received additional training in the appropriate use of personal protective equipment in conjunction with food safety guidelines; food safety health protocols, such as cleaning between customers and managing shared objects such as condiments; and how to manage symptomatic customers who seek entry into the facility.

Cash payment at all dining locations is not available at this time. Credit cards, mobile pay options (Google Pay, Apple Pay), CCS Dining Dollars, and CCS Flex dollars are all accepted forms of payment. CCS Community members can add cash to their CCS Flex account through the Business Office to be able to use that form of payment in the dining locations.

How will campus facilities and shared equipment be kept clean?

CCS has developed a comprehensive cleaning and disinfecting plan to reduce risk and potential spread of infection. Environmental Services will ensure that all highly touched or high-traffic surfaces such as doorknobs, railings, etc. are sanitized every four hours.

However, all employees and students can also do their part in making sure shared spaces and equipment are safe. Disinfecting supplies will be placed in offices, studios, and other shared spaces so that equipment and surfaces can be wiped down prior and after use.  Additional supplies can be requested from Campus Facilities by employees. 

For more detail please click here or review the CCS Preparedness Plan

I’m concerned about indoor air quality in older buildings on campus that may have window air conditioning units or baseboard hot water radiant heat. How will air quality be addressed?

Air scrubbers have been installed in the Administration and Fritz buildings to help keep indoor air clean. All air filters have been changed at both campuses and will continue to be replaced on a regular basis. 

Are any buildings closed to the public?

Currently, CCS buildings are open only to students and necessary staff and faculty.
In order to minimize the number of people on campus, we are asking employees to work from home if possible.
The CCS Bookstore in the Taubman Center is currently open for online and phone orders only. In-store shopping and regular store hours are planned to resume on Monday, January 25 for the CCS community and tenants of our buildings. The Ford Campus Bookstore is closed permanently.
Visitors will not be allowed in CCS Housing.


Are common areas on campus available to students? Are there restrictions on their use?

Students are welcome in common areas on campus outside of class but must adhere to all CCS health and safety policies in the Returning to Campus Preparedness Plan. This includes wearing masks while on campus, only eating in dining facilities, respecting all posted facility signage, and maintaining 6 ft social distance at all times. Students may use classroom space after class as long as the room is available, disinfect their workspace when they are finished working, and follow the other health and safety procedures outlined above.

All Ford Campus common areas and student areas remain open in their prior locations.

In the Taubman Center, common areas have been moved to the second floor of the building in order to allow for other facilities to be modified to accommodate social distancing needs. In addition to dining facilities, students will find the following on the second floor: common areas for studying, a 24-hour computer lab, Marketplace, and a new workspace.

ACB Fitness Center

Effective Monday 9/21/20 the ACB Fitness Center will be open during the hours listed below. We are doing additional cleaning throughout the day, limiting access hours, and providing more cleaning products for use during your time in the fitness center. Anyone using the facility is required to continue wearing a mask at all times and to maintain the 6-foot social distancing requirements. At this time we will not have the fitness room open on the weekends. The TC Fitness Room and the TC Gymnasium will not be open at this time, the ACB Fitness room is available to all students. CCS Employees will not be permitted to use the Fitness Room due to the limited hours available. Students must schedule a time through the Patron Portal to use the ACB Fitness Room and access is limited to 2 students at a time. Reservations are for 1 hour only. If these restrictions and processes are not adhered to, we will have to close the fitness center again.

ACB Fitness Room Hours
Monday – Friday

2 person max, 1 hour reservations through Patron Portal

Masks and social distancing required.

Clean equipment before and after usage.

TC Fitness Room and Gymnasium closed until further notice.


What should a student do if they are not feeling well?

Students that live on campus or attend in-person classes must be free of ANY new symptoms potentially related to COVID-19 as listed below:

  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Current or Recent Fever (within past 24 hours)
  • Chills
  • Repeated shaking with chills
  • Fatigue or tiredness
  • New unknown muscle pain
  • Headache
  • Sore Throat
  • Runny nose or new sinus congestion
  • New GI symptoms
  • New loss of taste or smell

If you have any of these symptoms without explainable cause (such as allergies, chronic illness), stay home!

Contact your instructors. You can decide if you are well enough to attend remotely or will need to make up classwork and assignments at a later date. Students living on campus should also alert their RA.

Several “at risk” symptoms does not mean a positive COVID-19 infection. Please continue to isolate through your illness. If your symptoms are prolonged for more than two days, you should get tested.

You can access testing through our partnership with Beaumont Health or contact your preferred medical provider / urgent care.

What should an employee do if they are not feeling well?

Employees that report to work on-campus must be free of ANY NEW symptoms potentially related to COVID-19 as listed below:

  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Current or Recent Fever (within last 24 hours)
  • Chills
  • Repeated shaking with chills
  • Fatigue or tiredness
  • New unknown muscle pain
  • Headache
  • Sore Throat
  • Runny nose or new sinus congestion
  • New GI symptoms
  • New loss of taste or smell

If you have any of these symptoms without explainable cause (such as allergies, chronic illness), stay home! You must be without a fever for at least 24 hours.

First, contact your supervisor. You can decide if you are well enough to work remotely or will need to take time off.

Several “at risk” symptoms does not mean a positive COVID-19 infection. Please continue to isolate through your illness. If your symptoms are prolonged for more than two days, you should get tested.

You can access testing through our partnership with Beaumont Health or contact your preferred medical provider / urgent care.

What will happen if I test positive for COVID-19?

You must notify CCS so we can take the necessary steps to keep you and the community safe. Please complete this  CCS COVID Self-Report Form.

Necessary members of Campus Safety, Student Affairs and Human Resources will be notified and next steps will be followed on a case-by-case basis.

You will need to self-isolate for a minimum of ten (10) days. You may return to on-campus activity after the 10th day if your symptoms are improving and you’ve been fever-free for at least 24 hours.


  • Students living on campus with roommates will relocate to one of the predetermined isolation rooms located in the St. Regis.
  • Students participating in overseas or off-campus programs must notify the Director of International Student Services.

For more details, please refer to the Isolation and Quarantine plan.

I tested positive for COVID-19, but I am working/studying remotely. Do I need to report my case to campus?

If you have not been in contact with anyone on campus (or anyone who is going to be on campus), there are no further campus steps you are required to take. However, if you would like to disclose your health status, we encourage you to reach out as soon as possible to Emily VanWormer, Health Resource Manager, at . CCS can help you with off-campus resources, communicating with your instructors (if needed), and coordinating medical benefits.

Fully remote employees should contact HR if they need to extend PTO or medical leave.

Who can students talk to for after-hours illness concerns?

If you have symptoms of influenza or coronavirus (fever, cough, shortness of breath, muscle aches, or fatigue) after-hours or over the weekend, please call the WSU Campus Health Center at 313-577-5041. The answering service will take your information and a health care provider will call you. For your safety and the safety of others, please do not walk into WSU Campus Health Center or other medical facilities unannounced. Please call ahead.

Who can CCS employees talk to for after-hours illness concerns?

CCS employees can contact the Detroit Medical Center at 888-362-2500, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and weekends 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Employees on the CCS health insurance plan can also contact the Blue Cross nurse line at 1-855-642-5214.

When I’m on campus, where can I get health care services?

For the health and safety of our staff, the Nurse’s Office is operating virtually. The Nurse Practitioner is available Monday from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., and Thursday from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. for the Fall 2020 Semester. Most medical ailments can be assessed and prescribed via telemedicine. Please contact the Wellness Center if you have any questions. Students can access the Doxy Virtual Waiting Room during the nurse office hours and will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis.

For more information, visit

For general first aid supplies, you may schedule a pick up from the Wellness Center by emailing .


Is there an on-campus screening process for COVID-19?

Yes, Students and employees living, working, or studying on campus must conduct self-screening every day before reporting to campus. Please see details about MI Symptoms below.


Is there testing available on campus?

The college has arranged monthly testing. More information is here.

How often do I need to be tested?

CCS is expecting students and employees that live, work, or go to classes on campus regularly to get tested at least once a month. However, if you are exhibiting symptoms, or are concerned that you have been exposed to COVID-19, please stay home and get tested sooner.

Why do we need to get tested so many times?

The pandemic situation is rapidly changing. Current science suggests that up to 40% of positive cases could be asymptomatic. Providing and encouraging frequent testing, also known as surveillance testing, is a strategy to help understand the infection rate of our population.

Maintaining a safe and healthy campus is the top priority. Testing is just one component of our response. It takes all of us to practice preventative behaviors like wearing facial coverings, social distancing, sanitization and hand hygiene and staying home/working remotely if you are symptomatic or living with someone who is infected.

I have already received a negative COVID test result, do I need to get tested again?

If you have been tested recently (within 1-3 weeks) you can delay your test until the following month as long as you are not exhibiting symptoms, and have not been exposed to a confirmed case.

How can I be tested for COVID-19?

If you’d like to get tested outside of the on-campus dates, you may access any facility of your choosing. For more information about testing locations, please view the CCS Health and Safety page.


I don’t have health insurance, can I still get a test through Beaumont?

Yes, CCS will cover the cost of screening and testing with Beaumont.

Begin by first completing the medical release form which will identify you as a member of the CCS community. When scheduling your telemedicine appointment, select “Self Pay” and continue the following steps. CCS will receive the invoice.

Do I need to get tested if I am working or studying online?

We are strongly encouraging anyone who is coming to campus to be tested. If you do not plan to come to campus, you do not have to get tested.


Is an antibody test the same thing?

Antibody testing detects if you had and recovered from COVID-19; this would give a positive antibody test result. A negative antibody test does not always rule out a current viral infection. It is possible to be currently infected but test negative for the antibody test because you have not built up enough antibodies yet. Antibodies typically indicate an immunity to a disease, but because this virus is so new, it is uncertain if you can be reinfected again.

Contact Tracing

What is Contact Tracing?

Contact Tracing is a public health tool to identify those who may have been exposed to an infectious disease. Those in close contact with someone with the virus will be contacted and asked to self-quarantine to stop the spread of the disease. The Detroit City Health Department will also reach out for further information.

What is the difference between self-isolation, self-quarantine, and self-monitoring?

Self-isolation is the directive to stay home because an individual is symptomatic and/or tests positive for COVID-19
Self-quarantine is the directive to isolate a healthy individual who has been exposed to a positive case to make sure they do not contract the virus.
Self-monitoring is the directive for those who are at low risk of exposure. They do not need to stay home but should monitor symptoms and reduce contact with others.
These three strategies help contain and prevent the virus from spreading.

What is a close contact?

A close contact is a person who spent at least 10-15 minutes within 6 feet of an infected person. You are most at risk because this virus spreads mostly through nose and mouth droplets via talking, coughing or sneezing, laughing, etc.

I am a confirmed contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, what do I need to do?

Close contacts need to self-quarantine for 7-14 days since the most recent exposure. If you were informed by an individual or the health department, you also need to let CCS know. Fill out the reporting form and we will make sure that the appropriate campus departments are notified while helping you determine your quarantine timeline and return plan.  

I was on the same floor or in the same building as a COVID-19 case. Do I need to self-quarantine?

You will be directly contacted via email or phone if you need to self-quarantine. Casual passes in a hallway or a shared air system are not considered high risk. If a section of a facility needs to be closed for a period of time that affects your work or living space, you will be notified directly.

What should I do if I was around someone who seemed sick?

If you were in close contact (6 feet or closer for longer than 10 minutes) with someone who was displaying symptoms related to COVID-19, you are encouraged to monitor your symptoms and stay home if you begin to feel ill. A self-quarantine is not required but can be acted on for extra precautions.


Will my contacts know that I got COVID-19?

Your identity will be kept confidential when contacts are notified. We will only share the exposure date range (+/- 1 day). You are encouraged to share your health status with your personal networks if you feel comfortable doing so. Please keep in mind that it may be possible for close contacts to identify you based on the dates and locations where they were exposed


Will there be any in-person events?

To adhere to social distancing guidelines, there will be a minimal number of in-person events held on-campus this academic year. All virtual events will continue as planned.


For questions please email