Resources for Students
CCS faculty and staff have worked diligently to prepare courses and facilities to meet the many needs of our students. Below is a list of resources available to students to help navigate the changes on campus.
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
New virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) system allows students to access a virtual Windows desktop with most CCS software installed and with improved performance and better reliability. The VDI system works both on- and off-campus, allowing students to use their personal device (Mac or Windows) to access the software that runs on powerful servers at CCS. Of course, students with appropriate devices may still run software locally on their own computers as licensing allows, and software is still available in labs on-campus for in-person use.
CCS has partnered with the Nursing Practice Corporation, which oversees the Wayne State University Campus Health Center, as well as their public clinic – Taylor Street Primary Care. Students are eligible for free visits on campus (Mondays and Thursdays) as well as full access to the medical clinics. For more information visit https://campus.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/student-affairs/ccs-school-nurse/
In order to reduce the risk of transmission of disease to other students, students should not, as a first step, come into the Wellness Center or outside clinics in-person without an appointment.
CCS Online and Telehealth Counseling Services
Personal Counseling Services
Personal Counseling assists students in meeting their emotional, psychological, and mental health needs for a variety of presenting issues. Our services contribute to a campus environment that facilitates the healthy growth and development of students. Any student wishing to utilize individual counseling must complete the Appointment Request Form and attend an intake appointment. Appointments are held through Doxy, a telemedicine platform, for the Fall 2021 semester. Services are at no additional cost and are of a confidential nature. Referrals can be provided for students seeking more specialized psychological or psychiatric care.
Web Checkout & Online Reservations - AVC, Shops, Studios, and Labs
To ensure proper social distancing and a limited number of people in rooms, shops, studios and labs on campus, the Audio Visual Center has expanded the online reservation system.
The WebCheckout Patron Portal reservation system allows students and faculty to reserve seats in shops, studios, and labs. The reservation system can be accessed from your computer by clicking on the “AVC Patron Portal” icon on the CCS Access Manager page. You may also access the Patron Portal from a browser on your phone or tablet by going to ccs.webcheckout.net/patron and using your CCS login ID and password.
You will not be able to reserve equipment, shops, studios, or labs if you have not completed the online Campus Safety COVID-19 Self Screening questionnaire and taken the online course associated with the questionnaire.
Once logged in follow these steps:
- Select “Shops, Lab, and Studios.” This will open the selection portal.
- A video of how the system works will pop up. You may watch it or close it. You may also view the video at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmONaoFbC9U
- Select the Labs or Shops and Studios icon.
- Using the top scroll bar, find the shop, studio, or lab you want.
- You may have to select the area or section of the shop you want to in.
- Select the seat icon for the seats in the space.
- You may click on the clock icon (Upper left) to see which seats are available.
- Select the seat you want to reserve by clicking on the “Add” button next to it. It will be added to your shopping cart.
- When done adding seats, click the shopping cart icon in the upper right.
- A pop-up box opens. Click “Create Reservation”
- Select your start and end date and time.
- If there are no errors you may click “Submit Reservation”
- Your reservation will go through the pending approval process.
If you cannot log in or have any questions, call the AVC 313.664.7647 or email the AVC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shops & Studios
The CCS Academic Facilities are ready for you to get to work!
All shops are open on the first day of class for student use. Open shop for students, faculty and staff will need to be scheduled in advance through the AVC Patron Portal. The Web Checkout Patron Portal reservation system allows you to reserve seats in Academic Facilities through the shops and studios icon. You must sign up for a seat in advance on Web Check out, manually sign-in/check-in upon arrival with your CCS ID, and sign out/check out upon leaving with your student ID.
Social Distancing protocols have been eliminated at this time but Masks and Personal Protective Equipment to include safety glasses and closed-toe shoes are required in all Academic Facilities.
The Academic Facilities Hours for Fall 2021 and Winter 2022
Ford campus – Kresge-Ford Building B side
B104 Blacksmithing (Crafts)
B112 Wood Shop
(in B112) Spray booth
B207B Laser cutter
T1113 Model shop
T1111 Digital Fabrication
T1110 Spray Booth
T1114 Laser cutter
Monday-Friday – 8:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday – 12 noon – 7 p.m.
Sunday -12 noon – 7 p.m.
Digital Fabrication Lab (Taubman) – Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 4p.m. only
Ford Laser cutter
Taubman Laser cutter
*90 minute maximum reserve time, please.
Monday -Friday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 12:30 – 6:30 p.m.
The Academic Facilities page has more detailed information regarding each shop. This can be found on the Access Manager page under the Campus Offices tab.
Equipment requirements or what to wear: Due to Covid -19 shared use safety equipment is not allowed. This includes safety glasses, leather gloves, welding jackets, etc. We do have sanitizing wipes for Welding Masks and earmuffs as well as disposable hearing protection. Sanitizer is literally available everywhere (seriously…).
- Face Masks are required in all Academic Facilities.
- Safety glasses are required in all Academic Facilities.
- Closed-toe shoes are required in all Academic Facilities.
- Long sleeve shirts and pants are required in the Metalshop areas. Please do not wear skirts or skin-revealing clothing. Wear fire-resistant natural fibers like cotton, denim, silk, and wool, this includes face masks, scarves, bandanas and hijabs.
- Leather boots or sturdy closed-toe shoes are required in the Metalshop areas – shoes must be made of natural fibers and will protect feet from heavy objects, hot metal, cutting sparks, etc.
- Reminder: No sandals or open-toed shoes please in any shop, ever.
- H20 in a closed container. Please stay hydrated and healthy!
- Bring what you think you will need.
- Wood shop resale items are still available for purchase through the bookstore.
- Metalshop, Foundry and Model shop items are still available for purchase with your one card/ student ID in those shops.
Imaging Center - Online Ordering & Contactless Pickup
Online Ordering & Appointments to Pick Up Work
- Forms for submitting print jobs can be found at http://campus.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/imaging-center/lets-print
- In-person appointments are highly recommended for picking up work and can be made at: calendly.com/ccs_ic
- Contactless pickup is available via the Smart Lockers located on the 2nd Floor of the Taubman Center next to the elevators.
- Virtual consultations with IC staff can be requested at calendly.com/ccs_ic/ic-zoom-consultation
Average Turnaround Times
Laser Printer | 1 business day
Plotter Printer | 2 business days
Small Inkjet Printer | 1-2 business days
Large Inkjet Printer | 2-3 business days
Binding & Stack Cutting | 1 business day
Button Making | 3-4 business days
Riso Printing | 3-7 business days
* Students will be notified by CCS email when a job has been completed. Students will then create an appointment to pick up their finished work via our Calendly.
Hours of Operation
Imaging Center staff will review newly submitted work from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday-Thursday & Friday 8 a.m.- 3 p.m. If you submit your files outside of these times, please be aware that your file might not be reviewed until 8 a.m. the following business day.
Regular Imaging Center hours, starting Tuesday, September 7 will be:
Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Friday – 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday – Closed
* hours subject to change
CCS Bookstore - Shipping, Online Ordering & Curbside Pickup
CCS Bookstore – Fall and Winter 2021 Schedule
CCS Bookstore – Fall and Winter 2021 / 2022 Schedule
The CCS Bookstore is currently open to CCS students, faculty and staff. You can also shop online through the CCS Bookstore online store with the option for shipping or pickup. Pickup orders will be placed in the Smart Lockers located on the 2nd Floor of the Taubman Center next to the elevators and inside the ACB next to the 1st Floor elevators on the Ford Campus. If you don’t see the item you need on the online store, please call to check if it is available. Ebook Textbook rental is available through the CCS Bookstore RedShelf site.
Summer Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 9 am – 4 pm (summer hours end September 3rd)
Semester CCS Bookstore hours starting September 7th
Monday – Thursday 8 am – 7 pm
Fridays – 8 am – 5 pm
Saturdays – 11 am – 4 pm
Closed For Holidays
Labor Day Weekend – Saturday, September 4th – Monday, September 6th
Thanksgiving Break – Thursday, November 25th – Sunday, November 28th
Holiday Break – Thursday, December 23rd – Sunday, January 2nd
Martin Luther King Jr. Day – Monday, January, 17th
COVID-19 Community Resources
As COVID-19 continues to impact our community, it is important to acknowledge that CCS community members may be returning to an intergenerational home, employees/students may be taking care of children and/or elderly parents, or siblings with a compromised immune system. Below are a few community resources aimed at addressing potential needs as we navigate this rapidly evolving situation:
- Comcast and Charter Communications will offer free internet access to low-income families. Internet and cable will not be suspended.
- Gleaners Community Food Bank has increased food distribution sites for families and children in Metro Detroit.
- United Way has set up funds to help families with health care, financial resources and other services. The organization has also launched a COVID-19 community response fund to continue efforts to support families during the school closures. Help or volunteer at 211.
- The Human Utility is non-profit organization providing help to families and makes sure they always have running water at home, detroitwaterproject.org.
- Comprehensive list of state-wide resources: bridgemi.com
- Poverty Solutions University of Michigan released a guide that provides information on how to access programs aimed at supporting Michiganders during the coronavirus outbreak, Michigan COVID-19 Pandemic Resource Guide.
- Oakland County Resources
- Macomb County Resources
- Wayne County Resources
Starting January 19th, CCS library locations are open by appointment only for current students, faculty and staff. The Libraries are closed to members of the public at this time.
Check out the CCS Libraries website to find up to date information about hours, access and our collections. We have extensive print and electronic collections that are available for you to use this year!
Winter 2021 Semester Hours
Beginning January 19th, CCS Libraries will be open the following hours. Please check the library website for up to date information, including any changes.
Main Library (MVRC, Ford Campus)
Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Sunday 1 – 5 p.m.
Color and Materials Library (9th Floor, Taubman)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Visiting the Library
You can place a hold to pick up library resources through the Library’s catalog (directions HERE). We will email you when it is ready for pick up. You can request materials from either library to be picked up at the library location of your choice.
You also have the option of making an appointment to come into either Library space and browse the collection for 30 minutes at a time. During a browsing appointment, you also have the option to use the library copy machine, if you need to scan a book chapter or quick print.
Using Online Resources
Browse the collections tab of the Library website to see the different types of resources available for you to use.
Getting Help Online
Get immediate help during open hours through our chat service (available on the library website).
For help with research questions, you can book a 30-minute Zoom appointment with a Librarian for the day and time of your choice.
Our How-To videos can help you learn how to navigate different online library resources.
All materials undergo a 4-day quarantine period after being returned so please be patient with the longer turnaround time.
Building Hours & Student Access
Building Hours and Student Access (beginning January 25)
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m.- 11 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Taubman Center & Ford Home Away from Home Remote Rooms
Open to all registered students by reservation in accordance with the above building hours.
After making the reservation, the confirmation email or screenshot of the reservation is to be shown to Campus Safety for the rooms to be unlocked.
Connecting With Student Services
In an effort to maintain the health and safety of students and staff, the offices listed below will be available to assist you remotely, but will not be able to assist you in person at this time. We will continue to provide updates throughout the semester as to when we will be available to assist you in person; however, all offices will continue to provide remote assistance to all students Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for the entire semester and beyond if necessary.
The staff are available and ready to assist you via Zoom, phone, or email. For contact information and to schedule an appointment through Calendly, please visit the office’s Blackboard page for details. Go to Blackboard and click on Campus Offices in the menu. Contact and scheduling appointment information is on the right side of the page. These pages also contain valuable information for students as well as various forms and CCS policies.
Student service office staff are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Academic Advising and Registration
- Business Services
- Campus Nurse
- Career Development
- Center for Tutoring & Writing
- Financial Aid
- Human Resources
- International Student Services
- Student Affairs
- Student Housing – After business hours, please contact your Resident Assistant (RA)
- Wellness & Counseling Services
MI Symptom Wellness Check
Employees and students will no longer be required to complete MI Symptoms check on a daily basis in order to access CCS facilities. However, employees and students will be expected to self-monitor for unusual symptoms and stay home if there is any cause for concern.
Facility Changes & Room Updates
The following rooms/facilities have been moved to accommodate social distancing and ease of use.
Ford Campus Changes
- The Ford Campus Bookstore is now closed. Please use the main bookstore in the Taubman Center
- Home Away from Home Rooms – Rooms on the Ford campus are available for students to reserve during their time on campus. These are safe, socially distanced spaces for commuter students to use in between classes or while working on projects/studying.
- Effective Monday 9/21/20 the ACB Fitness Center will be open during the hours listed below. We are doing additional cleaning throughout the day, limiting access hours, and providing more cleaning products for use during your time in the fitness center. Anyone using the facility is required to continue wearing a mask at all times and to maintain the 6-foot social distancing requirements. At this time we will not have the fitness room open on the weekends. The TC Fitness Room and the TC Gymnasium will not be open at this time, the ACB Fitness room is available to all students. CCS Employees will not be permitted to use the Fitness Room due to the limited hours available. Students must schedule a time through the Patron Portal to use the ACB Fitness Room and access is limited to 2 students at a time. Reservations are for 1 hour only. If these restrictions and processes are not adhered to, we will have to close the fitness center again.
ACB Fitness Room Hours
Monday – Friday
2 person max, 1 hour reservations through Patron Portal
Masks and social distancing required.
Clean equipment before and after usage.
TC Fitness Room and Gymnasium closed until further notice.
Taubman Center Changes
Moving from 6th Floor to 2nd Floor (near the cafeteria)
- Computer Lab
- Student Lounge
- Market Place
- Audio Visual Center – Added to the 6th Floor
- New Virtual Reality Lab – Added to the 7th Floor
- Home Away from Home Rooms – Rooms on the Taubman campus are available for students to reserve during their time on campus. These are safe, socially distanced spaces for commuter students to use in between classes or while working on projects/studying.