Immigration & Visa Services

Once you are accepted to the College for Creative Studies, the International Student Services Office (ISSO) will assist you in obtaining your student visa to attend the College. We hope to make your transition to CCS as smooth as possible.

To attend CCS, you will be sponsored on an F-1 Student Visa (for degree seeking students) or a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa (for study abroad/exchange students).

In order to apply for your student Visa, the ISSO requires these additional documents in order to issue your I20 form or your DS2019 form. These forms are needed to apply for your Visa at a US consulate abroad.

  • Statement of Financial Feasibility
    This is a bank statement documenting current, available funds. In order to apply for an F-1 visa, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds at your disposal to cover the all-inclusive estimated cost of attendance at CCS for one entire academic year. Your CCS Scholarship and International Student Grant can be deducted from the total estimated cost of attendance. Please refer to the final page of your degree level Financial Aid Workbook (Undergraduate BFA or Graduate MFA ) for a helpful guide on how to calculate the funds needed to receive an I20 form.
  • Affidavit of Support
    If your Statement of Financial Feasibility is in someone else’s name, such as a parent or relative, then that person will have to complete an Affidavit of Support. The International Student Services Office will provide this document if needed.
  • Passport
    You must provide a copy of your passport information page to International Student Services Office
  • Visa Information Form
    The International Student Services Office will provide this document for you to complete.
  • English Proficiency Proof
    If English is not your first language, and you did not attend an English speaking high school or college, please provide an English proficiency exam such as IELTS, TOEFL, ACT or SAT test result.

Visa regulations can get complicated, however the International Student Services Office is here to help! As a student, and an alumni there are many points along your path when you will need to seek advising and support related to your immigration status or Visa benefits. Schedule an appointment with our International Student Academic Advisor for your academic questions, or our Director to help with all visa questions and important authorizations.

Helpful Resources

Prospective and current international student may use these government pages for up to date information regarding obtaining your Visa, and continuing on your Visa as a student or exchange visitor at CCS.

F1 Student Visa:

J1 Exchange Student and Scholar Visa:

For more information regarding study in the USA, please refer to the Education USA website.

Employment on your F Visa

International Students may work on campus, for CCS, while on your F-1 Student Visa. This means that you are able to take advantage of college work study positions in the shops, departments, or libraries. Graduate students are also eligible to serve in Graduate Assistantships.

On campus employment during the academic year (fall and winter semesters) must be part-time, and cannot exceed 20 hours per week. You are allowed to work full-time during the summer recess.

F-1 students are not allowed to work off-campus, unless they receive prior work authorization.

The ISSO is available to all CCS international students to assist with the application process for obtaining work authorizations such as CPT, OPT and STEM OPT.

  • CPT
    During the degree program, international students will be able to apply for a specialized work authorization known as Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
  • OPT
    After graduation, international students may be able to extend their F-1 Visa status for an entire year, under the Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT gives international students the ability to remain in the USA for an entire year beyond graduation for the purpose of practical, professional training in their field of study.
  • OPT STEM Extension
    some programs of study at CCS are eligible for the OPT STEM Extension. This is a unique opportunity that allows international students, in specific programs, to extend their OPT for a total of three years. Qualifying programs of study at CCS are:
    • Entertainment Arts: Animation
    • Entertainment Arts: Digital Film
    • Entertainment Arts: Video Game Design
    • Interaction Design (MFA program)
  • CCS Career Development office 
    The CCS Career Development office and the International Student Services Office coordinate to support your professional Development at CCS.

    Through workshops on Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training, Job book and Industry events we make certain our students are prepared for their future careers, and are knowledgeable about how their visa benefits are related.