Study Abroad

Looking for an international experience? Look no further.

CCS students have the opportunity to expand their educational experience by studying abroad. They have a variety of options during their educational experience at CCS to explore the world, whether during a summer term with a CCS faculty member, or flying solo and studying at another institution for a semester or two. No matter the preference, the International Student Services Office will assist students as they choose from our variety of study abroad options.

To be eligible for all study abroad opportunities, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and written permission from the associate provost and the department chair. Study for an academic semester or year abroad requires that a student be a junior or in the first semester of the senior year. Participation in one of the summer, faculty-led programs is open to all students, regardless of year. Study abroad during the final semester at CCS is not permitted.

Study Abroad Options

Faculty-Led Programs

Students work with well-known artists and designers, visit studios and museums, and immerse themselves in local art and culture. Qualified students are eligible for three undergraduate or graduate credits.

*These programs are offered on an occasional basis. Please check with the ISSO to learn more about programs offered this year.

Interested in a program or country that is not on our list? The International Student Services Office is happy to assist you in your application, and study abroad process, for an independent program. Please schedule an appointment to talk with us! A great resource for  your program research is:

The following programs have an established relationship with CCS. You may apply your Federal and State Financial aid to these programs. You will pay the host institution’s tuition costs. Additional expenses of travel, housing, room and board will be incurred.

The following institutions have a student exchange agreement with CCS. You may apply your federal, State and Institutional financial aid to help with the cost of attending an exchange school and you will pay CCS tuition costs. Additional expenses of travel, housing, room and board will be incurred.

  • Chiba University. Chiba, Japan -Majors: Product Development, Information and Communication Design, and Environmental Humanomics.
  • Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing China-Majors: Fine Arts, Industrial Design, Animation, Photography, Ceramics, Textile Design, Animation, Visual Communication Design, Art History.
  • FH|Joanneum. Graz, Austria (CCS majors that may apply to FHJ are: Product Design, Transportation Design, Interior Design, Communication Design, Fashion & Accessories Design , Advertising and Entertainment Arts).
  • MIT Institute of Design, Pune India-Majors: Entertainment Arts, Interior Design, Product Design, Transportation Design
  • National Cheng Kung University. Tainan, Taiwan. -Majors: Product Design
  • Phorzeim University, Germany-Majors: Fashion, accessory design, Jewelry, Industrial Design, Visual Communication
  • Strate Ecole de Design. Paris, France (CCS majors that can apply to STRATE are, Product Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, BFA/MFA Transportation Design, MFA Interaction Design, MFA Color and Materials Design. -Majors: Transportation Design, Product Design, and Interaction Design
  • University of Wuppertal. Wuppertal, Germany-Majors: Product Design, Transportation Design, and Media Design.

CCS students benefit from the cooperative programs and built-in access to leading art schools that are members of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD).

By sharing resources and facilities, AICAD colleges offer educational opportunities that, taken together, are without parallel in professional arts education.

Through the AICAD Exchange Program, qualified students at one AICAD school can spend a semester at another participating AICAD school without additional cost or loss of credit. Selected students also have the opportunity to study at the Burren College of Art in Ireland.

Students should contact the Academic Advising and Registration Office at 313.664.7672 for more information on these programs.

Application deadlines are April 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the winter semester.

Financial Aid & Study Abroad

Students who have been approved for study abroad may be eligible to receive financial aid. For more information contact the Director of Financial Aid, Frank Ravja (313.664.7496 or ) or for general information on applying for financial aid visit Tuition and Financial Aid.


All students wishing to participate in study abroad will be required to meet certain criteria prior to moving forward with the application process.

Students will need:

  • a minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
  • be a junior or first semester senior for academic semester or one year study abroad
  • be eligible for, or currently have a passport
  • be able to purchase health insurance coverage for the full period of the study abroad program.

Application Procedure

Study Abroad Application (884 KB PDF)

Global Health Insurance

Health insurance is a requirement of all study abroad participants. If your current health coverage provider will not offer overseas insurance protection then you must enroll with an organization that will provide support for your overseas travel.

The following is a partial list of organizations that provide insurance specifically for study abroad purposes. The organizations listed are just suggestions. Please select health coverage that you determine to be adequate and satisfactory based on your needs

Emergency Information

In the event of an emergency be prepared by having contact numbers for the local authorities readily available. Be aware that the number for 911 is not 911 in other countries! Here is a link to the emergency numbers outside of America. Also, be prepared for an operator who doesn't speak English. Some countries are prepared for tourists with Emergencies by having a force of English speaking police, you can find those numbers listed in local directories.

It's always a good idea to keep the local US embassy or consulate phone number programmed into your mobile phone. Visit and find the contact info for the country you're going to. They're a great resource for advice for difficulties encountered overseas. It's very important to register with the local embassy or consulate. If there's an emergency at home or in your foreign locale you'll want the embassy to know where to find you. The registration is very secure and protected by the right to privacy act.

Many people don't know that the U.S. embassy or consulate has surprisingly little authority in the country that they are located in. However, if you are in trouble with the police and have been charged with a crime, you'll want to contact the embassy as soon as possible. Better yet, be aware of the local laws and abide by them! Usually, if you behave yourself as you would in your home country, you'll be fine. Some countries do have very strict rules that may seem silly to you, but keep in mind that you'll be held accountable just like the locals. Don't expect special treatment because you're a guest in their country - in fact, just the opposite should apply!

CCS Global Funds Request

We offer a study abroad scholarship that can help with your travel costs. Please collect an application from the International Student Services office or download it and return completed applications to Michelle Cade, Assistant Provost, Office of Academic Affairs. 

Global Funds Request Application (70 KB PDF)