Undergraduate Admissions

With Transfer students comprising more than one-third of our student body, we are familiar with the questions and concerns you may have about taking that next step toward completing your undergraduate degree at CCS. If you are planning to transfer to CCS, we have a few suggestions on how to go about it.

  • Talk to a CCS Admissions Counselor first. 
    Our Transfer Team is the only college in Michigan to have been honored with Phi Theta Kappa's 'Transfer Honor Roll' in 2019- signifying our institution's commitment to the support of transfer students. Whatever stage you are at in your degree path, we can customize a transfer plan for you to follow. Let us help you make sure your time and money are well spent.
  • Just starting a Transfer Path? Consider the MTA (Michigan Transfer Agreement) for General Studies. 
    Doing this will ensure you take the general education courses that will transfer to CCS while leaving important studio coursework to take at CCS. Find the MTA Guide we recommend for the college you will attend first. Not attending college in Michigan? We will help you find like courses from the Community College/State transfer agreement in your area.
  • Make sure Transferring is the right answer.  
    Transferring can affect a college student's federal aid eligibility, extend the time to complete their bachelor's degree, and in some rare cases, even cost students more than it would to begin as freshman. Let us help you get a clear picture of what your previous college level experience will earn you at CCS and get you customized details about financing, credit placement, and a graduation timeline by completing our free application for admission. This step will ensure that you receive a concise, accurate, customized account of exactly how CCS can work for you- and it may be easier than you think.

Transfer Honor Roll 2019 Badge

CCS makes every effort to ensure you get credit for your past college-level work. All previously earned credit will be evaluated for relevance to the College’s programs and Transfer Credit Policy. This can include:

  • Courses taken at another college
  • College-level courses taken while in high school (i.e. Dual Enrollment or Early College credit)
  • Credit earned by AP examination
  • Credit earned by IB examination

Our Admissions office will review all credit earned to date for incoming students. Applicants seeking credit via any of the methods outlined here must submit copies of all transcripts and test exams to the Admissions office during the application process.

Incoming students are encouraged to communicate all potential Credit by Examination (CBE) and Dual Enrollment history upon admission and submit all needed documentation prior to enrolling to maximize their potential transferable credit and avoid any delays in registration. Placement of all transfer credit, test credit and Dual Enrollment credit must be finalized before the end of a student’s first week at CCS or it will be forfeited.

Newly admitted transfer students will be sent a potential Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) and curriculum chart via email shortly after being admitted. The TCE outlines which courses have been accepted for transfer credit and how they apply toward your CCS degree. 

If you have taken any art or design courses, we will need work examples to complete this important step. If we need additional artwork for review, we will note this on your TCE. Additional action required may include submission of syllabus/ detailed course descriptions, and official, updated or final transcripts.

Any college credit earned but not verified with receipt of required documentation, work examples, or transcript by the end of the student’s first week of classes will not be eligible for transfer credit

For faster service, request your transcripts be sent to us electronically through Parchment.

Placement of any college-level credit is subject to the CCS Transfer Credit Policy unless otherwise specified. Upon Admission, courses are evaluated as either General Education (aka. Liberal Arts) Credit or Studio Credit.

General Education Credits

BFA degrees at CCS require 42 credits in General Education. Courses in English, Science, Math, Humanities, Social Science, Psychology, etc. are considered general education studies at CCS. Art History and Visual Culture also fall under this department.

The BFA degree is considered a professional degree. Accordingly, our curriculum focuses on portfolio development and requires only 42 general education credits to graduate. Students planning transfer should meet early with a CCS admissions representative for advising and for the most up-to-date curriculum requirements and equivalencies.

CCS requires 4-5 courses (12-15 credit hours) in Art History and Visual Culture studies depending on the student’s intended major. Transfer of major specific and/or upper-level studies in this department may require a review of course syllabus or work examples.

Applicants who have previously earned a [4 year] Bachelor’s Degree will be exempt from all general education credits with the exception of Business Practices and Art History and Visual Culture Studies.

For students who have not yet earned a 4 year degree, any previously earned General Education courses that meet the requirements outlined in our Transfer Credit Policy may be applied to general education requirements. General Education courses without established equivalency in the form of an articulation or transfer guide published by the college must be reviewed to ensure they meet the standards required by our accrediting bodies.

Studio Credit

Once you have applied to CCS with your application portfolio, we recommend that you organize and submit additional work examples for us to review as we consider your transfer credit placement.

The work you submit should be a comprehensive collection of the projects you've completed for your college-level studio art or design course(s). Organize your submissions in Google docs or Dropbox, and label each subfolder by course. This folder should be shared directly with your admissions counselor for review.

Not everything you submit for transfer credit review needs to be final portfolio worthy. Include work that is more tutorial in nature as well as finalized projects. What you submit will help us understand what your learned, experimented with and experienced in your college course so we can make sure you get placed in the appropriate level next course.

Examples of work to submit:

  • color wheel or gray scale
  • gesture drawings
  • prints or small test pieces you created using a new technique you were trying out, even if you didn't use that technique for an finished pieces
  • hand-drawn images you re-created in vector or pixel software as practice to learn the tools

As always, indicate the software utilized in the creation of digitally produced or enhanced images or video. Be sure to identify an appropriated (borrowed) images, textures or ideas. If submitting collaborative projects, you must detail your roll and influence on the project.

All official documents of transferable credit (college transcripts, test scores, etc.), and any requested work examples requested for the TCE process, must be submitted to CCS by the following deadlines:

July 15 (for Fall start term)
December 10 (for Winter start term)

Official transcripts, test scores, certificates, etc. must be sent directly to CCS from issuing institution or agency.

Assistant Director of Admissions - Transfer

Eric Kaster


Associate Director of Admissions - Transfer & Articulation

Amber Thomas


Office of Admissions

201 East Kirby
Detroit, MI 48202


Office of International Admissions

201 East Kirby
Detroit, MI 48202