Community Outreach & Engagement
University Prep Art & Design
CCS's art and design middle and high school, University Prep Art & Design, is built on the idea that learning needs to be hands-on, connected to the real world, and should develop not only students' academic knowledge and skills, but also their potential as creative thinkers and innovative problem solvers. With its strong focus on art and design, University Prep: Art & Design provides its students the opportunity to develop their artistic abilities and explore the many careers available to those with artistic skill. As a public school academy all enrolled students attend tuition-free.
University Prep Art & Design prepares students for the future through our college preparatory curriculum, career exploration, and real world experiences that focus on innovation and creativity. Students take art class five days a week and have access to the world-class instructors, resources and facilities of the College for Creative Studies.
University Prep Art & Design is operated jointly by CCS and the Henry Ford Learning Institute. It enrolls approximately 800 students in grades 6-12. It is located within the College's A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education. As part of a larger community of college students and professionals, University Prep Art & Design students also learn skills of interacting with a varied adult population and of using shared public spaces in appropriate ways.
University Prep Art & Design also provides students with:
- Inspiring teachers and other caring role models in an environment that is nurturing, safe and secure
- Immersion in a college-going culture
- Small class sizes, targeted support for student success
- Project-based learning that incorporates community resources and technology
- Structured workplace experiences in the community, such as internships and job shadowing
- Seamless transition between middle and high school
- New gymnasium, sports program and state-of-the-art facilities
- And so much more¦
University Prep Art & Design is a Thompson Foundation 90/90 school, committed to graduating 90% of our students and sending 90% of those graduates on to college.